solid state voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: solid state voltage regulator

Is anyone out there familiar with or have used this outfit? http://cloversystems.com/products/ot...om-regulators/

What is the importance of matching a Delco voltage regulator to a Delco electrical system (Delco generator and Delco distributor) in a 1955 coupe?

Comment

The ampere rating of the regulator needs to be as large or a little larger then the generator and if the regulator supplies voltage or ground to the field terminal of the generator.
      The field of Delco generators are usually grounded through the regulator. Autolite generator fields can be either grounded or have voltage supplied by the regulator.
      Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
        The ampere rating of the regulator needs to be as large or a little larger then the generator and if the regulator supplies voltage or ground to the field terminal of the generator.
        The field of Delco generators are usually grounded through the regulator. Autolite generator fields can be either grounded or have voltage supplied by the regulator.
        Ron
        Boy, you lost me on that one !!

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
          Boy, you lost me on that one !!
          The field controls the generator output by having it's voltage regulated, and some field windings are regulated on the ground side, while other generator fields are regulated on the ungrounded end of the windings. In other words you need to supply negative varying voltage, or positive varying voltage to control the field strength.

I make electronic voltage regulators for the Model A fords because they came from the factory with no voltage regulation. The third brush sets the amps, which remains constant until you move the adjustable brush to another location. The Model A is 6 volts positive ground just like my Studebakers, but since all my Studebakers have electro-mechanical voltage regulation, I see no need to change it to full electronic regulation. A good original voltage regulator works fine. Some of the cheap repro units............not so much.

Comment

Working...
          X