Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00201.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1750722Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00203.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1750723I finally pulled my weepy fuel pump off the Avanti and when I disemboweled it to install the R2 kit I ordered a couple of years ago I found the diaphragm was too big. The rubber material and the lower metal disk will not fit in the lower bowl. They are about 1/4 inch too large. The rest of the parts fit OK. I tried to find a stamped number but failed. The cast number is CARTER MO1634. I crossed this with a MOPAR pump. The actuator arm doesn't look like it was bent to fit. It has a pressure signal connection in the upper housing. It has been working for the last 30 years as far as the previous owner can remember.

Anyone know what diaphragm or kit this thing needs?

The diaphragm on the right came with the R2 kit. You can see the metal disk is larger than the one that came out of the unit. Also, the one on the left is an eight screw housing.

I checked 2 old pumps in parts stash, Carter 3508s was stamped on both r2 pumps. Luck Doofus

Comment

The actual Part number of this Mopar Pump Assy. is stamped INTO the edge of the mounting flange, your raised numbers are the individual piece part numbers and not important.

Since you have the Repair Kit for the Studebaker/Carter Pump, I would put the word out to the community that you want a rebuildable Studebaker R2 Pump.

I wonder if the former owner Plugged the Bowl Vent in that small "tube" like piece facing UP?
      That is required on an R2.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I had a really close look at this pump and found that the number that was stamped in the mounting boss was ground off. I also had a friend check out the actuator arm with me and we both have decided that it looks like it was cut at two points, the elbow with the wrong angle was removed, and a piece was welded in at the proper angle for the Studebaker engine. A most professional modification... Now what I need is a new diaphragm...

The pump has been on the car for 30 years and has worked OK for all that time. I will put it back without a rebuild but won't feel to comfortable doing that.

I would like to find out who rebuilt this car in 1985 before it was purchased by the former owner to me, but that will probably not happen. SN R3803. Originally sent to California after it was built in March 1963.

Comment

When I bought my Avanti, about 20 years ago, it had a pump like you describe on it. It was a high performance pump for Chrysler products, Carter part# M6270. It had been modified by bending the actuating arm, plugging the vent, and drilling and tapping for the boost reference line. I rebuilt it using the diaphragm and valve body from a new pump. These are about $100, now. The advantage is a much better stem seal than comes in the kit. The higher pressure hasn't caused me any problems. It may be possible to find a less expensive Chrysler pump to use for parts. I think any "M6..." will be that size diaphragm. A standard pump will have lower pressure like Stude did, and maybe a better idle. What does M01634 fit, and how expensive are they?
          Check to make sure the original vent is plugged on your pump.
          Mike M.
          Last edited by Mike; 04-12-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            /Cut/What does M01634 fit, and how expensive are they?
            Check to make sure the original vent is plugged on your pump.
            Mike M.
            See Post #3, M01634 is a Part Number for one of the housing Parts, NOT the Pump.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X