bump start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: bump start

I've just made my own remote starter to aid in the installation of my 60' 259 V8 distributor so as to bump the motor over so I can seat the shaft into the oil pump as was suggested to me by many forum contributors . It's a simple two post push button switch. I only get to work on my project one day a week so it's slow going. I'm waiting for springs and weights from S.I. before I go on with the installation just to be on the sure side. My question is do I simply connect my two clamps to the solenoid or "Magnetic Switch" as the manual refers to it (Red to the hot post-Black to the post that feeds directly to the starter) so as to bypass the magnetic switch as if I'm checking for a faulty magnetic switch as the manual prescribes or am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't want to guess at it and cause any damage. Thanks in advance.

If you mean putting your homemade switch across both LARGE terminals,no you will instantly let all the smoke out of your wire and switch.[and burn your fingers] Hook up your temporary switch to the hot post[from battery] and to the small post[whichever small post gets activated by the ignition 'start' switch.Now push your homemade switch to crank starter. If you want to bypass the "magnetic switch" you'd want to use jumper cables-red to hot and the other end of 'red' to the cable to starter. [expect sparks]
    I have in a hurry,used a large pair of pliers to jump the two large terminals.[one handle of pliers on each large terminal]
    [I'm assuming you used wire quite a lot smaller than a battery cable to make your remote start switch]
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...passenger.html

I am not sure if this one is wired correctly, or has the right mount for studebakers, but I went to my local starter shop and they got one for me. I have on on my 54 champion.
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
        If you mean putting your homemade switch across both LARGE terminals,no you will instantly let all the smoke out of your wire and switch.[and burn your fingers] Hook up your temporary switch to the hot post[from battery] and to the small post[whichever small post gets activated by the ignition 'start' switch.Now push your homemade switch to crank starter. If you want to bypass the "magnetic switch" you'd want to use jumper cables-red to hot and the other end of 'red' to the cable to starter. [expect sparks]
        I have in a hurry,used a large pair of pliers to jump the two large terminals.[one handle of pliers on each large terminal]
        [I'm assuming you used wire quite a lot smaller than a battery cable to make your remote start switch]
        Wow, glad I asked. I would have been in for a shock! Thanks for the advise and you are right that the wires to my clamps are a lot smaller than battery cables! Guess they would have gone up in smoke faster than a joint at a rock concert.

Comment

Back in the point ignition days, about every mechanic had a remote starter switch, button, two long wires, and to alligator clips. Were also useful in bumping over the engine when unbolting the torque converter. Sure there are some still available out there.

Comment

Amazon has a bunch of remote starter switches available for under $20 which would be the right tool to use to bypass the ignition switch. A remote starter switch gets connected to the hot battery terminal and the S terminal on the starter solenoid which bypasses the ignition switch for cranking the engine. Keep in mind that the engine could start if the distributor is on the engine and connected as the starter solenoid on 12 volt V8 Studebakers also has an ignition ballast resistor bypass in it to aid in faster starting which works even though the ignition key is in the off position. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              Amazon has a bunch of remote starter switches available for under $20 which would be the right tool to use to bypass the ignition switch. A remote starter switch gets connected to the hot battery terminal and the S terminal on the starter solenoid which bypasses the ignition switch for cranking the engine. Keep in mind that the engine could start if the distributor is on the engine and connected as the starter solenoid on 12 volt V8 Studebakers also has an ignition ballast resistor bypass in it to aid in faster starting which works even though the ignition key is in the off position. Bud
              Thanks. Since I'm bumping the engine to try and locate the slot in the oil pump to line up with the shaft from the distributor I won't have the distributor cap installed as I need to sight the rotor's position. Should I use my remote starter switch for adjusting valves in the future I will heed your advise and pull the coil wire before I turn over the engine. incidentally, I built my own remote starter for $7.56 with the parts from my local NAPA store.

Comment

A remote starter switch can be used anytime you need to crank the engine while doing maintenance. Just be sure that the ignition is disabled or the engine can start when you least expect it. Bud

Comment

I use my remote starter switch more for testing electric stuff like fuel pumps, power windows, anything powered by relay, etc. Very handy and controllable.

Comment

And make sure it is out of gear (with the wheels chocked)
                    No surprises!

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    A remote starter switch can be used anytime you need to crank the engine while doing maintenance. Just be sure that the ignition is disabled or the engine can start when you least expect it. Bud
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X