Assembly manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Assembly manuals

In the 50's, GM sold 'Assembly Manuals' for their cars. When I was doing Tri-Five Chevys, the manual made life so easy. Didn't Studebaker ever publish such manuals?????????????????????????

Goodness! Where you been? There are Chassis manuals, Body manuals, and Shop manuals. That is in addition to Owner/Operator manuals. Plus, through the years, correction, update, and addendum bulletins. They are available from various vendors in the form of print and computer discs. I have had some of the GM manuals, but managed to purge and shovel that stuff off my property years ago.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That is strictly a GM thing. GM did that into the late 60's or 70's. Chrysler, Ford, AMC or Studebaker never had assembly manuals as far as I know.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Studebaker used their parts books for that purpose. The Stude parts books show nearly every item, right down to many of the nuts and bolts, for each and every model covered. Their illustrations are actually better than those in most GM assembly manuals. GM published assembly manuals because their parts book illustrations cover many different models and are often labeled "typical assembly" -- in other words, they often do not show many of the parts on your vehicle. Stude parts books, no matter when published, list the part number for every single part, even if that part was no longer available from the factory -- which is a big help for those of us searching for obsolete parts. When GM discontinues a part, the item disappears from their parts book -- which always makes me wonder if the thing ever existed in the first place.
        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 04-11-2016, 05:58 AM. Reason: typo
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe Ford published assembly manuals. At least once upon a time.
          http://www.dearbornclassics.com/asse...hero-1967.html

Comment

Wow! So I was on Studebaker Forum for months in addition to Studebaker Museum, chasing leads from other Stude people to determine how to wire up my alternator originally equipped Champ 8E5 with no luck. Leads??

Comment

The Wiring Diagram in the Shop Manual for '63 & '64 Larks and Lark Types would have told you everything you needed to know. Or on Chuck's Website at: studebakerparts.com
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I asked Andy Beckman if an assembly manual ever existed for Studebaker cars. He has never found any evidence or reference to one. If one is to be made it will be up to one of us to chronicle the assembly of a complete restoration.
                james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                X