64 Wagonaire license plate adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 64 Wagonaire license plate adapters

Finally got to the point of installing license plates and not sure which way those license plate adapters are to be mounted. They appeared to be all bent and I had done some straightening , but I guess I over did it maybe. They have studs on one side so I assume those attach to bumper. But like in the rear it looks like it would make the license plate way too high. Without the adapter in the rear license plate is tilted way in at the bottom so I'm guessing the adapter should be bent to make it set straight. The front doesn't seem to work either way, so I cant seem to figure out the puzzle.

I have a Daytona Convertible. I put the Two mounting screws into the bumper with the plate up. The license plate is bolted in at the top hanging down. That centers the License plate to the license plate lights in the bumper guards. Right or wrong ????????
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
      I have a Daytona Convertible. I put the Two mounting screws into the bumper with the plate up. The license plate is bolted in at the top hanging down. That centers the License plate to the license plate lights in the bumper guards. Right or wrong ????????
      Klif
      I researched this weighty matter about 30 years ago and ended up doing it the other way: bracket hanging down and the plate bolted to the bottom of the bracket to it extended up. It's shown that way in the parts book and it seemed to align the plates perfectly with the L-R center line of both bumpers. I think I bent the bracket slightly and used some shims to get the plates vertical. BTW, this is on a 64 hardtop, not a wagon.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Check out this thread. I remember reading about a while back. I think my Dad's wagonaire has this problem too because there's some paint missing in that area.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e-interference

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
          Check out this thread. I remember reading about a while back. I think my Dad's wagonaire has this problem too because there's some paint missing in that area.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e-interference
          Yes after posting I later ran across that thread, I will probably have to do some minor mods. The one in the front seems to make plate sit too high or too low, may net even need it in the front.

Comment

On my Wagonaire the rear bracket mounts to bumper at top.
            Lower holes mount bottom of license plate.
            No bracket at all in the front. License plate bolts directly to bumper using upper holes on license plate.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
              On my Wagonaire the rear bracket mounts to bumper at top.
              Lower holes mount bottom of license plate.
              No bracket at all in the front. License plate bolts directly to bumper using upper holes on license plate.
              Correct. The parts book shows the bracket only for the rear, but also using one on the front bumper centers the plate up higher, and (to me) looks better.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I went to Autozone & bought a $5 or $6 dollar plastic mounting plate for the 62 Cruiser, used the center holes to the front bumper & it looks fine.

By the way, it doesn't matter if it's a wagon or hardtop or whatever since the stamping for the bumper is the same.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

In the rear I ended up having to put sort of a dog leg bend in it to make the license plate sit vertically and not have the top bolt ends gouging into the newly re chromed bumper. It does pretty much center the license plate in the lights. Plenty of clearance between tailgate and top too. My bumper had been straightened in the past and worked on again at the chrome shop, so its possible that the bumper holes are on a little different angle that when new . Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                  X