64 stomberg ww fuel starvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doofus View Post
    Could we be overlooking a weak coil/cond.? when hard on throttle and starving for fuel what happens if you back off throttle a bit? this happened to me decades ago, coil was weak and it was new, Standard/Blue Streak! Doofus
    Brand new, flame thrower coil and electronic ign. It runs fine with choke very slightly on. After talking to a carb tech I am looking into a possible blockage in one passage below the power valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      Wow! How have I managed to drive Studebakers for a couple hundred thousand miles over the course of 50 years or more - and probably 85% of those miles were WW Strombergs?
      I am not a huge fan of strombergs either, but there is no reason why it should not work correctly if everything is right. The WWs must not have been too bad they were used on a ton of engines from different manufacturers. GM was still using them in 1972.

Comment

rbigcal;
        I would see if I could beg, barrow or steel another carburetor. It would be wonderful if you and another Studebaker owner could swap carbs and see hat happens.
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
          rbigcal;
          I would see if I could beg, barrow or steel another carburetor. It would be wonderful if you and another Studebaker owner could swap carbs and see hat happens.
          Ron
          I sure don't know any Studebaker guys around here, that's one reason its been hell putting this basket case car together. all I have to go by is this forum, books, other websites and pictures.

Comment

Finally figured it out

Well after almost a week, almost to the brink of suicide and no hair left I have finally FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM! I just knew it would be something stupid. I installed the freaking main discharge tubes upside down. I had the diagonal slice facing upwards when it was supposed to be facing the wall of the venturi. Now Hows that for a royal screwup

Comment

I was going to say also in a pinch a Rochester 2 jet (older side feed small base) will fit and run almost like is came from the factory.

Comment

Have you checked the PCV valve? When they go bad they can alter the fuel to air ratio considerably.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                X