64 stomberg ww fuel starvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 64 stomberg ww fuel starvation

I had had problems several times with the carb on my wagonaire and thought I finally had it working good, but now after getting it licensed I took it out for a test run and at first it ran great, but after getting up to full temperature its starving for gas. If I close coke just a little its fine, but when choke is fully open (plate straight up) it starves for gas. Right now I have choke tied with wire partially closed and it runs like a bat out of hell. I have had this carb apart 4 times and last time took every tube and orifice out that could be taken out and blew with air then used carb cleaner in spray can and flused each orifice making sure liquid came out the other side, but yet still having problems. I have never had a problem with a carb like this in over 40 years of rebuilding them etc. Anybody have ideas on what I may be overlooking?

My first thought would be a low fuel level, (float adjustment).

Comment

The stock mechanical fuel pumps have a paper filter inside of the sheet metal housing on the bottom of the pump. Once upon a time my '64 Cruiser starved and it was that probably original paper filter ALL clogged up.

Comment

Float should be good, I have readjusted it and last time I even put it a little higher. No original filter. I have new filter before the electric pump back close to tank and have a new filter near carb.

Comment

I have a similar problem on my 62 Cruiser & Champ, both with the WW 2barrel carb. Both run really good except when accelerating for the freeway. Getting them up to speed they both starve out after 5-10 seconds of acceleration. I didn't know of the filter on the pump so that will be my next investigation.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Partially blocked fuel line, pinched against frame,BTDT Doofus

Comment

lower the float ?? test fuel pump (mechanical/adjust electric)...

Comment

Replace the base gasket and check for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, running well with the choke plate partially closed shows there is a lean mixture. If there is no crud in the carb passages only thing left is air getting in somewhere screwing up the mixture. Good luck. Someone on here, not too long ago had the same symptoms and it took a few new base gaskets to cure it. Make sure the carb base isn't warped and the mount area on the manifold is dead flat. I know nobody likes to put gasket "goo" on a carb gasket but sometimes it's the only way to seal it.
                Last edited by karterfred88; 04-07-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I have seen WW carb rebuild kits where the accelerator pump plunger was just a little too large for the plunger bore. It would go down part way then stop. With the spring loading on the pump shaft you wouldn't necessarily know that the pump wasn't performing as intended, but of course you were not getting that squirt of gas when needed. A little work on the plunger itself will correct the fit.

Comment

"Both run really good except when accelerating for the freeway. Getting them up to speed they both starve out after 5-10 seconds of acceleration."

Warren,
                    That is exactly what my Cruiser was doing. I'd back off and it would run fine.
                    Gary

Comment

I took carb off and looked like maybe float was off, so readjusted. Now its running over. I will try again later today. The car runs great until choke is all the way open, once it gets hot enough to do that it won't run much past idle.

Comment

Sounds like a carb circuitry problem instead of fuel delivery to the carb. Have you checked the power valve, its' activator piston, and fuel passage? Tried plugging the PCV connector temporarily?

Comment

A real-time fuel pressure test while driving answers a lot of questions.

This for a fuel injected car, but the principle is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS2K9VdTR8

Comment

This car has undergone a almost 3 year full restoration and almost every part on it is either new or rebuilt. there is no problem with fuel to the carb. I have had the carb apart 5 or 6 times and every fuel passage is clean I put a kit in it also and have replaced base gasket. I just got through pulling it off and adjusting the float again to 3/16" as instructions call for. Normally if float is level it would work fine. I just had it running again while ago and it's the same crap, when choke opens fully engine will not rev up. I pulled brake booster hose off and plugged it-no effect, pulled pvc hose - no effect, pulled vacuum to dist. - no effect. I sprayed starting fluid all around base of carb- no effect, sprayed it all around intake- no effect. I have just about ran out of ideas other than possibly another carb. This carb does not have any numbers on it anywhere other than patent numbers, so that makes it harder to find the right one. There could be a remote possibility that some passage in the carb is plugged that can't be accessed without popping out the plugs, then not sure if they are available. I am still open to suggestions.

Comment

Does it backfire through the carb? Through the exhaust? Timing may be partially to blame. Did the same carb work OK in the past? If so, what has been done to it since it was working OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X