Plastic floats on new sending units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Plastic floats on new sending units

Before I take my Avanti out on the road in a week or two, I need to replace the fuel level sending unit. I already have a new one from SI and it has a plastic float. However, I want to know if the plastic floats stand up to the caustic effects of today's fuels. Also, is there a good way to replace the plastic float with a brass float? In other words, has anyone had experience successfully attaching a brass float to the arm that rises and falls with the float? Is there a particular style of brass float that more readily attaches to the arm than others?
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

I'd stick with the plastic float. What's gas cans been made of for the last 20 years? No sense reinventing the wheel.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

If you feel you MUST replace the float with a brass one, here's the way to do it.

http://www.gudim.com/ReplacingCorkFloats.html
      Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The currently available replacement fuel sending units are supplied by Stewart-Warner. I would think we would have confidence that they know what they are doing.

Comment

The plastic floats don't seem to be an issue. But the electronics of these currently available senders have killed three of my customers fuel gauges in the last 6 months, two of these being for GT Hawks. And I am getting tired of replacing senders AND dash gauges for customers! So I would be very interested in hearing from others on this. The problem seem to be specific to the latest senders (silver anodized metal, stamped steel base with rolled edge) rather than the excellent ones previously sold for many years (gold colored anodizing/flat steel base).

Chris.
          STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

Stewart Warner isn't the same company it once was.
            Sold off to the Brits decades ago, they sold off every subsidiary they could, sold off all the real estate, and moved all the production to Mexico.
            I look at many staid old corporations with a jaded eye any more.
            These days many a great 'name' is being traded on, but the guts have been eviscerated...

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            The currently available replacement fuel sending units are supplied by Stewart-Warner. I would think we would have confidence that they know what they are doing.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"Stewart Warner isn't the same company it once was.
              Sold off to the Brits decades ago,"

Maybe it has "lucasitis" and that's whet the problem is??? LOL

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                But the electronics of these currently available senders have killed three of my customers fuel gauges in the last 6 months, two of these being for GT Hawks. And I am getting tired of replacing senders AND dash gauges for customers! So I would be very interested in hearing from others on this. The problem seem to be specific to the latest senders (silver anodized metal, stamped steel base with rolled edge) rather than the excellent ones previously sold for many years (gold colored anodizing/flat steel base).
                How have you traced the problem to the sending units?
                -------------------
                Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

I would guess that any replacement senders are coming from China. Which means almost anything is likely to happen. I would look for a NOS part and add a brass float to that.

Comment

I'm fixing to remove my sending unit on my '59 silver Hawk so I'd also like a good solution if I find a bad float. I like the brass float hybrid idea!!

Treblig

Comment

I had good luck using a Moeller Marine Products sending unit in my 63 Daytona. Part # 035725-10. Takes a little bending and cutting of the rod that holds the float, but works well and should be modifyable, (new word I just made up) to most any tank.
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Who did you order that from?? Price?? I can modify anything!!!
                        treblig

Comment

Got mine on ebay, about $30 to $35 Just search using the name and part#. Might try local marine supply stores too.
                          Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                          Who did you order that from?? Price?? I can modify anything!!!
                          treblig
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                            Got mine on ebay, about $30 to $35 Just search using the name and part#. Might try local marine supply stores too.

You mean one of these has the same bolt pattern and proper ohms to go right into the '59 Silver Hawk tank?? Of course I'd have to get the correct length/height/angle on the float.

treblig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-...RSHjay&vxp=mtr

Comment

YEP !!!!!!!!!! Use the old one for a pattern. Even works in the truck tanks. Kind of a one size fits all. Who knew? My 63 Daytona runs like a speedboat. I know of several others that have used them in other applications with good results. Not sure about 6 volt systems since they are positive ground, but voltage has nothing to do with ohms resistance. Just have never tried it.
                              Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                              You mean one of these has the same bolt pattern and proper ohms to go right into the '59 Silver Hawk tank?? Of course I'd have to get the correct length/height/angle on the float.

treblig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-...RSHjay&vxp=mtr
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X