Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing seats with a headrest ('54 Commander)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Installing seats with a headrest ('54 Commander)

Hello,

My wife is big on having headrests installed in my '54 Commander Land Cruiser. She's been rear-ended before in a car that didn't have headrests and it screwed up her neck from the whiplash.

As the stock bench seats are pretty well garbage, I don't mind removing them and installing something else. But I would like it to LOOK as close to factory as possible. Anybody else out there attempted this? Any particular make/model seats that might work?

Thanks in advance,

Tony Peterson

Lots of different seats have been fitted, you can try "seats" in the search box at the upper right, no guaranty you'll find what you like. Also many of the used seats done in the past are no longer easy to get at wreckers, such as Sebring convertible, Camaro, Firebird, etc. A current thread has some photos with fancy power seats and built in shoulder belts if that's what you're looking for, but doubt any will look "close" since the low back bench seats rarely had any structure to support a head rest:http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Modifications
    Last edited by karterfred88; 04-01-2016, 12:36 PM.

Comment

AS KF88 says above a lot will fit. Take your tape measure to the local wrecking yard and find what looks good to you. Most any modern seat from compact to midsize to some full size will fit. Because you have a land cruiser, you can mount belts in the "B" pillar although it takes a fair bit of dis-assembly and work. Look at how they mount in the donor car and visualize how to mount them in yours. There are some really great options out there.

You can also get heated, cooled, power etc if you want to go that far. Good lick, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        AS KF88 says above a lot will fit. Take your tape measure to the local wrecking yard and find what looks good to you. Most any modern seat from compact to midsize to some full size will fit. Because you have a land cruiser, you can mount belts in the "B" pillar although it takes a fair bit of dis-assembly and work. Look at how they mount in the donor car and visualize how to mount them in yours. There are some really great options out there.

You can also get heated, cooled, power etc if you want to go that far. Good lick, Bob
        Thank you, Bob!!!

Comment

Seats from a Odessey SUV may fit the bill.
          There very close to the correct width also look like a bench seat with the center "jump seat" plus the jump seat back folds down for an arm rest and storage locker
          They are available in cloth or Faux leather.
          Geoff

Comment

A couple of further thoughts - My 54K has a set of seats from a 2007 Acura TL. Both the front and back seats fit. My 74 Avanti has a set of Pontiac G6 seats both sets full power and heated.

Acura seats

G6 in the Avanti

You can see the brackets I fabricated in both. Bob

Comment

You could also marry a headrest to the Stude bench seat.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveftsix View Post
                Seats from a Odessey SUV may fit the bill.
                There very close to the correct width also look like a bench seat with the center "jump seat" plus the jump seat back folds down for an arm rest and storage locker
                They are available in cloth or Faux leather.
                Geoff
                Geoff - this is great information. I found some 2011 Odyssey seats on eBay. Near new. Not cheap - but very nice. I wonder if they just bolt to the floor, or if I need to custom some kind of brackets? Also, I think I'd have to have them recovered to match the rest of the interior. I wonder what that would cost. Well, thanks again for the great suggestion.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                  You could also marry a headrest to the Stude bench seat.
                  Hmmm, that would actually be ideal. I love the stock seats, and don't want to stray too far from that look. Have you ever done this? Just have to strip down the seats and find a way to bolt something to the framework?

Comment

Earlier Odessey`s there third rear seat row was a bench so may pay to look at those earlier ones rather than the later type which are split 60/40.
                    I had thoughts of removing those rear covers from an early one and using the material to recover my own rear seat base.
                    And using the fronts as is from the Odessey
                    The fronts in Faux Leather look very sleek with the center "Jump seat"
                    And matching material for the rear !
                    I`m sure those would impress the wife !!!!
                    I wouldn`t have thought you`d have much problem in mounting them as the Jump seat straddles the center tunnel.
                    I would visit a junk yard first armed with a tape measure and a camera so you can compare first before hitting the BIN button on Ebay.
                    Geoff
                    Last edited by fiveftsix; 04-06-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BOEING707100 View Post
                      Hmmm, that would actually be ideal. I love the stock seats, and don't want to stray too far from that look. Have you ever done this? Just have to strip down the seats and find a way to bolt something to the framework?
                      I'm sure it can be done, there are kits available for 65-66 Mustangs with brackets etc. Before settling on this option, have your wife sit in the car. measure from the top of the seat to the center of her head, to judge just how high (and possibly unsightly) the head rest has to be to do any good. You may be surprised at how long the headrest posts will need to be to get it high enough. The 50s and 60s seat backs weren't very tall (my 63 Avanti seats stop way short of the middle of my shoulder blades). Then you can decide if another more modern seat assembly, built to have useable head rests will be too "modern" even upholstered to match your car.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveftsix View Post
                        Earlier Odessey`s there third rear seat row was a bench so may pay to look at those earlier ones rather than the later type which are split 60/40.
                        I had thoughts of removing those rear covers from an early one and using the material to recover my own rear seat base.
                        And using the fronts as is from the Odessey
                        The fronts in Faux Leather look very sleek with the center "Jump seat"
                        And matching material for the rear !
                        I`m sure those would impress the wife !!!!
                        I wouldn`t have thought you`d have much problem in mounting them as the Jump seat straddles the center tunnel.
                        I would visit a junk yard first armed with a tape measure and a camera so you can compare first before hitting the BIN button on Ebay.
                        Geoff
                        Yes, they would! I'm exploring two options now, thanks to you and 70Avanti2. Those Odyssey seats, or redoing the factory seats and installing a headrest.

I appreciate your help, Geoff!

Comment

Working...
                        X