53 Hardtop in Alvin TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Hardtop in Alvin TX

I know it is hard to evaluate a car on line, but am thinking about having someone go check this one out for me.

Seller says hog troughs are good. No rust around door hinges, etc.

Obviously been repainted with color change.

Long term this car would be taken back to original. I have no desire to create another street machine. If I wanted a street machine, there are plenty of "done" cars to choose from.

I would much rather have a stick, but the auto isn't a deal breaker. I really like the body style more than anything else.

Worth looking at?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Studeba...vip=true&rt=nc

One question:

Trim tag has:

4H K5

I know the 4H K5 indicates a Commander Starliner hardtop.

Is 1397 the paint code? If so, where is a list of paint codes?

Would like to know what color it was originally.
    Last edited by Lynn; 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
      One question:

Trim tag has:

4H K5

I know the $H K5 indicates a Commander Starliner hardtop.

Is 1397 the paint code? If so, where is a list of paint codes?

Would like to know what color it was originally.
      No, 1397 is the sequence number that that particular body was assembled.
      The paint information is/was on a label on the exterior, bottom of the glove box and on the production order.

You might search the Forum. This car has two previous topics/threads going on it. I also believe that the eBay auction has closed.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, ebay auction closed. Just talked to the seller though, and the buyer was not a legit buyer.

I can get the car pretty cheap.

Do you have a link to either of the earlier threads? I did a search, but didn't find anything.

Comment

Here's one.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...90-53k-on-ebay
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I think it is definitely worth looking into. From the pictures it looks like a good solid car and complete so an original resto would be an excellent choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
              I think it is definitely worth looking into. From the pictures it looks like a good solid car and complete so an original resto would be an excellent choice.
              Ditto, Its important to get started with a car thats as rust free as possible. Head down with cash in hand and swing a deal. I don't see too much rust in the usual places you might on a mid-west or eastern car. Maybe its a true blue Texas car. That could be a good start. Good hunting.
              sals54

Comment

We are driving down early in the morning to go see it. Taking the pickup and a car hauler trailer.

The car is just south of Houston, and my Sooners are playing in the Final Four tomorrow evening, so I just bought tickets to the games, and my angel of a wife agreed to go with me. Leaving here (Guthrie, just north of OKC) at 6 a.m. Gary (seller) agreed not to sell it until I get a look at it tomorrow. If all works out, I will buy that elusive Starliner, and get to watch a great game. Just not sure OU can beat Villanova a second time this year.

Thanks for the link Don. I did run across that one after I asked about other threads.

I know the paint looks horrible, and it has had a color change, but if it is reasonably rust free, I feel I would be way ahead of the game. Promised the wife no more projects until all the ones I already have are done. She was up late last night with me restoring the instrument cluster on the 68 El Camino. I still have to swap the engine in the farm truck, and we haven't even built our dedicated work shop yet. Can't break ground until mid July. Am I married to an angel or what?

Comment

You ARE married to an angel!!!

Comment

Hey Lynn, can you post some pictures of your new 53? They're the tops! Thanks. Dan

Comment

We had quite the adventure. I am leaving out any details of the game (ouch).

Left Guthrie ALMOST on time, about 6:07 a.m. Good thing we left early.

Made Dallas in record time, averaging 75-80 mph pulling the empty trailer. That's pretty good, considering the tow vehicle was my brother's 99 F150 with the 4.2 V6. At least it is a 5 speed, and not an auto. Can still use OD with the trailer empty. About 8 miles North of Conroe, TX (Northern suburb of Houston, one of the trailer tires comes apart. I had checked air in all four when we gassed up 120 miles earlier, so not sure what happened. Probably just old age.

Anyway, limped to a Sam's Club in Conroe, and fortunately, there were not overly busy. If one was old enough to come apart, then it is time to replace all four. Set us back about 1.5 hours, but we were very fortunate to have this happen with unloaded trailer in mid afternoon rather than loaded on the way home in the middle of the night.

Get to Gary's place. Gary, for those who don't know, is a Studebaker junkie. Gary, you need to post some pics of your GEORGEOUS 53 Champion that has been very tastefully built with Chevy V8. It has reupholstered mid 60's GTO seats that look right at home. Very nice workmanship all around. If my new one was a Champion, it might be getting the same treatment. Gary and I hit if off immediately. Great guy with great passion for these old cars. While we are checking out the car, Sherri and Gary's wife are hitting it off as well. Just cannot stress enough what wonderful folks the Blalocks are. Hope we get to meet up again one day.

Took over 1.5 hours just to drive from North Houston to South Houston. If you have never driven through Houston, even on a weekend..... don't. Creeping along, stop and go. This is maybe my 5th or 6th time to drive through Houston, and every time I swear I am never going back. But I digress. Even though we were late getting there, and they had a family function to get to (he didn't tell me until we were loading the car), Gary was very thorough showing me every flaw he had discovered. There are flaws, mostly from a previous owner's very amateur body work. But, overall, other than the 70's interior work, this car is pretty darn unmolested. Couple of rust areas, but frame and hog troughs are really solid, as are the areas on each side where the doors attach to the body. Gary shot me a number and we struck a deal.

We were able to leave the Commander and trailer at Gary's while we went to the game (shudder) then go back after the game and hook up and drive off. At least the trip home was uneventful. We thought about getting a motel room, but I hate leaving a trailered car outside overnight. I estimated we would make it home by 4:30 a.m, and we pulled in at 4:38. At least traffic wasn't horrible in Houston at night. Horrible construction issues between Dallas and Denton, and even some North of Denton (very narrow, bumpy temporary lanes). I first drove from OKC to Dallas in 1970, and there was nothing but construction in most of North Texas. I have made that trip MANY times (take my kids to see the Red Sox play when they are in Arlington). I have never made the trip when there wasn't major construction between Denton and Dallas.

Back to the car. I will do my best to get some pics today. I have to get it unloaded and in the garage, anyway as we are helping our youngest daughter move this afternoon. I enlisted some help from two lf our boys, and Mr. Uhaul, so it should go well.

BTW, don't expect any progress pics on this one for several years. I have two projects lined up in front of it, as well as a major renovation of the building that will become our workshop. For anyone interested, I can post a link to a thread over on the garage journal. For now, I will rebuild the starter (pretty darn sure there is a worn out bushing in there... but it does start every time) and rebuild the brakes. Need to get the trim codes and then decide on whether to go back with original colors. I am certain I will have many many questions along the way, gathering information and parts in preparation for the restoration.

Comment

Congrats on your catch!!! Looking forward to some photos .... and how the project progresses. Just disassembled my 54 Champion K to almost every single screw ......

Comment

Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1704805Click image for larger version

Name:	colors.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1704802Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1704803Click image for larger version

Name:	rr.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1704804No label in the glove box. I am guessing ivory mist lower body with coral red top. Look at the first pic, and you can see the original colors where the chrome strip was between top and bottom.
                          I plan to join the Studebaker National Museum. Is that where I can request a print out of the original features to my car?

Here are some pics, starting with the painted area I mentioned.

Decided to ad some of the pics back on this thread, seeing that the "improvement" to the site seems to have deleted all my pictures.

Last edited by Lynn; 04-17-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

ivory / coral

Guessing this car is Coral Red over Ivory Mist.Click image for larger version

Name:	ivory.coral.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1704566

Comment

A good picture for the paint line location question.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...