What do I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: What do I have

Working on a 57 GH. transmission was just rebuilt before we started to work on it by mystery builder. Has shift pattern of P-R-N-D-L . Not P-N-D-L-R. Has number on oval tag of 103-71615. Also small dipstick tube coming out of passenger side of pan and has cooling lines. Would like to know what I got. Should not the pattern be the P-N-D-L-R. Thanks

I'm far from an expert, but can it be associated with the Ford FMX transmission? This might be of some help. http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../FMX/fmx2.html
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have a ford fmx in the shop and it looks different but it could be a AMC model.

Comment

I have known of and owned Studebaker/Packard products that had Ford ATs installed in them along with the matching shift quadrant. Most people did not even notice.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

my 57 Golden Hawk (all original but engine overhauled and tranny replaced) had a "FORD-O-MATIC" transmission in it when I got it; the idiot kid (I can only hope it was a kid? Car had sat untouched for 30 years or more apparently) fixed the shift indicator problem by whacking it off with a hammer. Couldn't even simply take out the two little screws on the shift indicator apparently. COULD have been an accident I suppose but no other damage to the steering column.... Sigh. THAT Ford-o-matic did not have the cooling lines or wider heavyduty band in it though (I found an original, or think so as tag was illegible, correct tranny for my Golden hawk and rebuilt both at same time, so have comparison photos of all parts during the rebuild if you need to compare anything. (Have a post right now on the oddity of where my cooling lines ARE internally though, I think mine is 100% Stude, as the Ford valve covers and such had some different ID numbers, and my heavy duty tranny looks all correct, right down to the white and green springs and valve IDs....... But, I didn't know AMC also used Borg-Warner; and no idea what THEY look like!

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
            my 57 Golden Hawk (all original but engine overhauled and tranny replaced) had a "FORD-O-MATIC" transmission in it when I got it; the idiot kid (I can only hope it was a kid? Car had sat untouched for 30 years or more apparently) fixed the shift indicator problem by whacking it off with a hammer. Couldn't even simply take out the two little screws on the shift indicator apparently. COULD have been an accident I suppose but no other damage to the steering column.... Sigh. THAT Ford-o-matic did not have the cooling lines or wider heavyduty band in it though (I found an original, or think so as tag was illegible, correct tranny for my Golden hawk and rebuilt both at same time, so have comparison photos of all parts during the rebuild if you need to compare anything. (Have a post right now on the oddity of where my cooling lines ARE internally though, I think mine is 100% Stude, as the Ford valve covers and such had some different ID numbers, and my heavy duty tranny looks all correct, right down to the white and green springs and valve IDs....... But, I didn't know AMC also used Borg-Warner; and no idea what THEY look like!

I believe that the AMC version of the Borg-Warner was Flash-O-Matic...

Comment

Yes Flash-O-Matic, but also Shift Command.

If I had to guess, I'd say the S/C is very similar to the Cruise-O-Matic that gives you the P R N D 2 1 Shift Pattern for all 3 gears, Manually or Automatically, probably like the Newer Ford FMX.

But they would all be Long Tail Trannies, not short Tail like a '56-'57 Stude.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-09-2016, 07:53 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I took a Short Tail Hawk tranny and had the tail out changed for a short tail for install in a V8 Auto truck....... so anything is bout possible.

Comment

Working...
                X