Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! searching for a pinion gear (and how to put it on my cable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Help! searching for a pinion gear (and how to put it on my cable)

According to the parts book I would be happy with either a 520088 (16 teeth) or 520087 (15 teeth) so I can get my Scotsman cyclops reading the miles as they go by. (found it at Studebakers West)

Since I've never replaced any speedo cable gear that looks like this, some helpful advice on the changeover would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by allstateguy; 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Sorry, checked my inventory and came with neither of the above.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

From my experience, you remove the cap screw that holds the speedo cable in to the transmission tail, pull it out, pull the existing pinion off the cable and insert the new pinion. Insert in to the transmission tail and install the cap screw. Others may have different experience. Make note of your existing pinion number, as others may be in need of same.

I see the 15 tooth 520087 on Ebay at this moment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Speedometer-Pinion-Gear-520087-15-Teeth-1947-54-Cars-Trucks-/161992144964?hash=item25b77bf844:g:XY8AAOSwuYVWo96h&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rockne10; 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

thanks for the info! I already had a new core just in case, but when I pulled the cable end out of the transmission I saw the pinion gear was missing half its teeth. I ordered a new one and I hope it is right. I'll know when I get the new engine put together with this trans and get it all back into the car.
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
        X