Generator Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Generator Question.

Car: 1951 Commander fitted with a 289 GT engine, 12 volt system and Delco Remy generator.

Flat battery on Monday morning after a car show on the Saturday (round trip of about 2 hrs). Charged battery overnight and drove to work this morning. During which I noticed the Ampmeter staying on '0' while driving, back to a 1/4 'Discharge' at idle in traffic, then jumping up to a 1/4 on 'Charge' on take off, then slowly drifting back to '0', even at 50 mph. I've tested the generator which passed all tests, but instead of putting out the stated 35 or so amps, put out 80 amps. (with the regulator disconnected). Which has lead me to believe it's a faulty regulator. (One of the resistors on the back of the regulator is burnt out).

So my question is: Is the generator faulty showing 80 amps, and is this why the resistor burned out? I don't want to go fitting a new regulator and burn it out as well.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

The generator at 80 amps is just an indication of its maximum capacity for output so your regulator is the culprit and needs to be replaced or repaired.

I would highly suggest a conversion to a GM one wire alternator with self contained regulator. I've done this to several Studebakers and never have been let down. A cheap and easy task...

Comment

Thanks O-GrumpyOne ;-)
      Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

If you do the alternator change over, do a three wire, built in regulator--no need to rev it up to get it to start charging,

Comment

Aussie Hawk
          How did you have the generator connected and with what did you measure the 80 amp out put. Most Delco generators supply voltage to the field coils internally and the regulator grounds the field to control the output.
          That being said if your regulator is burnt you need to find out the reason before installing a new regulator.
          It is easy enough to test the Delco generator in the car with the battery connected. Disconnect the field wire; ground the field terminal. Do not do it for long as the generator will go to full output. The amp meter should go to full plus. If a 30 amp rated generator is putting out 80 amps it will not do it for long as soon the smoke will leak out of the generator.

Ron

Comment

You might take the dust shield off of the generator and see if it has thrown solder out. If it has, the generator is shot.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X