Flight-O-Matic for my '55 Prez State Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flight-O-Matic for my '55 Prez State Sedan

I am in the process of swapping out the original engine/DG 250M with an engine from a '59 Lark with a short tail stock FOM.

My questions are:

1. Will the FOM transmission mounts work with the original batwing or..

2. Should I use the batwing from the '59 Lark?

3. Are all batwings the same?

4. Can I purchase front/rear/shifter and pressure shaft seals separately?

5. Is the center bearing support cross member (for two piece driveshafts) in the frame at the same location for 1955 vs. 1956/57?

I hope that this is clearly written.

TIA
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 03-07-2016, 07:32 PM.

#1,2,&3: Without #2 crossmembers side by side I cannot Say, but it is very likely that from Sedans they are the same except probably the Engine Mount Holes which would be a easy fix.

I think in #4: you may be asking about the Shift and Throttle Pressure control Linkage Rods.
    If that is the case, they may be a pretty hard find in NOS condition, but should be plentiful from parted out cars used.

#5 Yes, same Parts, same Location, different Front Driveshaft.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What are your plans for that DG250M transmission?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
        I am in the process of swapping out the original engine/DG 250M with an engine from a '59 Lark with a short tail stock FOM.

My questions are:

1. Will the FOM transmission mounts work with the original batwing or..

2. Should I use the batwing from the '59 Lark?

3. Are all batwings the same?

4. Can I purchase front/rear/shifter and pressure shafts separately?

5. Is the center bearing support cross member (for two piece driveshafts) in the frame at the same location for 1955 vs. 1956/57?

I hope that this is clearly written.

TIA
        Good move!....and the holes for the engine rear mounts are in the same location on C/K's, (I did this same swap two years ago), so I'd guess you'll luck out with the mount holes in the sedan crossmember also!!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          #1,2,&3: I think in #4: you may be asking about the Shift and Throttle Pressure control Linkage Rods.
          If that is the case, they may be a pretty hard find in NOS condition, but should be plentiful from parted out cars used.
          I did not adequately proof read #4... I was referring to the shaft seals. Regarding the linkage rods, since I'll be using the original Saginaw power steering, I'll most likely be needing to fabricate custom rods for shift linkage and pressure unless I could find the same from a '56-58 car.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
          X