Throttle Return Spring 57 GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Throttle Return Spring 57 GH

Help! Need a part # for a throttle return spring for a 57 GH. I've checked the parts book and see several possible ones but nothing specifically for a 57H-K7 with 2 barrel carb. It appears to be fairly short, looking at different engine pics it appears everyone uses whatever works. Well, I'd like to have the correct spring. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk accelerator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1750510

Exact spring tension makes no difference in the '57-'58 GH application, as the 'anchor' point of the throttle return spring is adjustable ( anchor slides up and down the fuel line)....in your photo, your anchor is pushed up against the fuel fitting at the pressure box entry point.

Find a spring that looks right (from old factory photos) and set the tension anywhere you want with that adjustable anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Exact spring tension makes no difference in the '57-'58 GH application, as the 'anchor' point of the throttle return spring is adjustable ( anchor slides up and down the fuel line)....in your photo, your anchor is pushed up against the fuel fitting at the pressure box entry point.

Find a spring that looks right (from old factory photos) and set the tension anywhere you want with that adjustable anchor.
      Duh... adjustable anchor. Wish it was all that easy, even had an extra spring I had found in the engine compartment (right side) that fits the bill! Could it be the original? Thanks for the help Ed.

Name:	hawk accelerator 2.jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1704175

Comment

You've pretty much 'nailed' it Mark....the item I'm calling an 'anchor' is the piece that slides up and down the horizontal section of the fuel line....In your lead photo I could see that it was pushed all the way up and resting against the fuel inlet fitting at the base of the carb air chamber....In your second photo you've slid the anchor down to its proper position and, aside from that spring looking a bit 'cruddy', everything is as it should be......WELL DONE!!

Comment

Found this brochure page with a 289 SC engine showing the placement. Guess I'll turn the spring around, to be really correct and clean it up while I'm at it. I've even gotten the correct battery hold down and washer bag hanger. Whoopee!

Name:	hawk factory spring placement.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1704176

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
            Found this brochure page with a 289 SC engine showing the placement. Guess I'll turn the spring around, to be really correct and clean it up while I'm at it. I've even gotten the correct battery hold down and washer bag hanger. Whoopee!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52070[/ATTACH]
            Yeah, but is your engine silver with yellow valve covers, and a green pressure box!!!!
            Last edited by bezhawk; 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Yeah, but is your engine silver ith yellow valve covers, and a green pressure box!!!!
              Yes, someone should detail their '57 GH engine like in the brochure, bring the car to a big SDC National, and insist to the judges it's original!!....(I think I'll try it! )

Comment

I'd like to see this combo in real, think I like it

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Yeah, but is your engine silver ith yellow valve covers, and a green pressure box!!!!
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

In the Car Show Engine pic, doesn't that look like the Secondary Throttle Return Spring, the Black one from the Valve Cover to the Linkage at the Bellcrank like a Non-Supercharged Engine?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X