1966 Rear Speaker size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1966 Rear Speaker size?

I am getting ready to install new speakers in our 66 Daytona. The front speaker is easy. 4 x 10 (going to install a dual voice coil). The rear deck has a cutout for a center speaker. I am going to install an additional dual voice coil in the rear. Does it seem right that they would be two different sizes? Looks like the rear installation holes match up to a 5x7. Also, is is the norm to just punch holes in the cardboard covering on the rear deck to let the sound out, or would a speaker cover be more factory correct? Maybe someone has a factory rear speaker installed that could forward a picture. Does anybody have any experience with this? See you all in York! Thanks, - Eric-

The 5X7 1540513 screen and frame that go over the hole you cut in the hardboard are available at Studebaker Vendors at:

It should be noted however, that Modern Speakers for New 2000+ Equipment use a 8 ohm or 4-8 Ohm Speaker, but the Original Delco Radio uses a 10 Ohm Speaker only available at Classic Car Radio/Speaker suppliers.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The 5X7 1540513 screen and frame that go over the hole you cut in the hardboard are available at Studebaker Vendors at:

It should be noted however, that Modern Speakers for New 2000+ Equipment use a 8 ohm or 4-8 Ohm Speaker, but the Original Delco Radio uses a 10 Ohm Speaker only available at Classic Car Radio/Speaker suppliers.
      That is great info. Anybody in particular on the Vendors page that you know of that has that screen and frame? I want it to look as close to factory as I can. Thanks!

Comment

I put a pair of 4"X10" speakers in the rear of my '65 with no problem.

Comment

A 6X9 or a pair of 6X9 speakers will sound better.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I only have one cutout in the rear deck, and after taking out my dash speaker and holding it up to the cutout in the deck, I have confirmed that the rear is 4x10. In efforts to keep as stock as I can, (I am not going to cut new speaker openings in the metal of the rear deck) what covering was used in the rear deck speaker? Grille? or Mesh/fabric?

Comment

You will see a Picture of the 1540513 "Screen" and Rim Assy. on Pg.53 of the S.I.Catalog which they and other Stude. Vendors sell, the 4X10 Grill you need is NLA at most Vendors, it came in matching Colors.

They must have failed to mention that the 5X7 only fits Hawk & Avanti not '64-'66 Lark Types.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-06-2016, 03:16 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X