X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1964 V8 commander rear axle to a 1962 Lark 8

Will this work ??
    Is it a fairly easy bolt up job ?
    Any information or ideas I appreciate ..
    Thanks

Randy
    Love my Lark

As long as you're moving a Dana 44 to where a Dana 44 was, it will work and is a bolt in. The same goes for the Dana 27. It gets a little trickier when you put a Dana 44 in place of a Dana 27, but it still isn't too bad.

Either rear end should have the number cast into the center section by the rear cover.

The rear end depends on the size of the engine, Larks typically had a Dana 27 behind the 259 and a Dana 44 behind the 289.
    Last edited by 61Lark; 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM. Reason: Added information.

Comment

The only thing you'll have to take care of is the driveshaft length if it's a 27 to 44 or vise versa.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
        The only thing you'll have to take care of is the driveshaft length if it's a 27 to 44 or vise versa.
        Plus the u-bolts and spring plates.

Comment

Also if they both came from the same wheel base type car, if then drive shaft will be different.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

THanks very much for the reply's .. I know my car the 62 is a 259 but the 64 Commander has a 289 in it .. But the 289 is a truck engine so obviously at some point it has replaced what ever was in there before .. More then likely it was a 259 but I will have to check the numbers on the rear end .. The brakes all interchange ?
            Love my Lark

Comment

The existing Backing Plates/Brake Assemblies will bolt to the other Axle.

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
              THanks very much for the reply's .. I know my car the 62 is a 259 but the 64 Commander has a 289 in it .. But the 289 is a truck engine so obviously at some point it has replaced what ever was in there before .. More then likely it was a 259 but I will have to check the numbers on the rear end .. The brakes all interchange ?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Can the 64 brakes just be left on the axle and be used on the 62 Lark ??
                Love my Lark

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

I think we are assuming that the both have Drum Front Brakes or Disc Front Brakes, they need to be the same Front Brakes for the Rears to be the same.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Both cars have non power assist drums all the way around ..
                      Love my Lark

Comment

Working...
                      X