OAT, IAT, HOAT,POAT? antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    Yes, of course you are correct, but...very small amountes of borates or other rust oreventives solve that problem. And, of course glycols or other alcohols prevent freezing in below freezing temperatures.

Nonetheless, water always cools better than any other liquid, and should always be the major component.

Anything else is snake oil.
    Your research is flawed. The company doing the tests, Is another one of your " snake oil" manufacturers, Applied Chemical Research is a competing company they make NoRosion. I would say is isn't unbiased.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Your research is flawed. The company doing the tests, Is another one of your " snake oil" manufacturers, Applied Chemical Research is a competing company they make NoRosion. I would say is isn't unbiased.
      Unfortunately the science is correct, even if it was produced by a competitor. I think this will show water, is still best. See page 8 specifically. And Evans does not dispute the science, unless the goal is to raise engine temps, on a gasoline fired engine, it serves no purpose, causing need to retard timing and/or raise the octane rate significantly. http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a801100.pdf

Comment

For 99% of classics, that sit in a garage, and get trailered to shows. The 0 maintenance of propylene glycol makes sense. I concede water transfers heat best. I have had cars shipped to me from private owners, to national museums. If they weren't drained of ethylene glycol (the green stuff) when put into storage, they came to me with ruined cooling systems. Some were so corroded they looked like someone filled the engine with oatmeal.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948

Comment

Getting back to the original post----- I think most would be happy with water-propylene glycol mix for actual use, not storage, or old fashioned green stuff changed regularly. For long term storage drain it, tag the radiator cap that it's empty-problem solved. Just like draining fuel tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Your research is flawed.
            It isn't actually "research", just a statement of known scientific fact. It's not a mystery. You can "look it up."

The specific heat ( the ability to absorb and transfer heat) of pure water is higher than any mixture of water/antifreeze.

Here, Ill look it up for you-

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              That's my question as well. You can get Sierra which is propylene glycol based, but it is green as well, and like most green coolant, should be changed every two years rather than 5 years for red/pink/purple/yellow coolants.
              OK, I will expose my ignorance. Why does ethylene glycol ("green stuff") need to be changed every two years? Does it break down and, after breaking down, cause corrosion? It doesn't seem to get weaker, in terms of coolant protection, over time.
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

All "glycols" break down over time due to heat. Aqueous solutions of ethylene glycol and propylene glycol produce acidic degradation products upon thermal oxidation. This results in a decrease in pH of the aqueous solutions which could accelerate the corrosion of metallic components. Checking the pH of the coolant solution and changing it reduces the possibility of internal corrosion over time.

Comment

Thanks, katerfred88! Do you, by any chance know the initial pH of ethylene glycol coolant? Is it supposed to be neutral (7.0) like water?
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                    Thanks, katerfred88! Do you, by any chance know the initial pH of ethylene glycol coolant? Is it supposed to be neutral (7.0) like water?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                      All "glycols" break down over time due to heat. Aqueous solutions of ethylene glycol and propylene glycol produce acidic degradation products upon thermal oxidation. This results in a decrease in pH of the aqueous solutions which could accelerate the corrosion of metallic components. Checking the pH of the coolant solution and changing it reduces the possibility of internal corrosion over time.
                      Get rid of the aqueous solution part of the formula. That is why Evans is LIFETIME coolant. Also with my diesel, cavitation is a big deal .
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948

Comment

Back to my original request: Some old car sites say that OAT, which can be green, is bad for 'antique engines' but does not identify them...something about gaskets, but I've lost that site. IAT green is hard to find, but available. I'll not be using Evans. I know I can't mix red (long life) and green, but I have a completely clean system. So can I use long life, or red coolant? Since I've lost the link about OAT coolant and gaskets, does anyone have any more information?
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

Here's an informative site..

http://www.engine-performance-online...ifreeze-types/
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                            ZEREX Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant uses the highest quality virgin ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection
                            "VIRGIN ethylene glycol"? Is that like virgin olive oil? Why can't I get EXTRA virgin ethylene glycol?
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                            X