K Floor and trunk replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: K Floor and trunk replacement

I have a friend that just got a 55 Commander K but the left front, rear and trunk has developed the optional air vent floorboards. He is just wanting to make the car a driver and not a body off restoration. He is wondering how to replace the rotten floor in all the areas without removing the body.

I told him I would ask the experts here as to how this can be done.

Thanks Gang

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of Lazarus

Classic, who advertises in turning wheels, has some outstanding K floor panels. I replaced mine without removing the body from the frame. i cut out all the rusted areas, flanged the original floor and cut the classic panels to fit what I needed. Welded in the panels and now you can hardly tell the panels aren't original.

Comment

Fabrication of the patches necessary is not incredibly daunting but, Classic Enterprise panels, while not cheap, will produce a better repair while minimizing the labor.

http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Tell him to weld in the trunk leave about 1-1 1/2 inches all the way around on the stock floor them cut the new floor so it comes right to the edge of the inner fenders and drill and plug weld the panel in. Make a lot cleaner job than drilling all the spot welds out.

Comment

Thanks gang I will pass this on and also let him use my laptop to set up a forum account. He does have one other question: The drivers door is stuck shut and the button is pushed all the way in. Is there anyway to free the door up? He has access to the car from the right door and tried to open with the interior handle but it is not working. He can not wiggle the door from the outside and short of kicking the stuffing's out of the door from the inside to free it up he is at a loss.

Thanks again

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Home of Lazarus

Comment

A flat nail bar on the inside rear corner of the door might help, door has probably setteled onto latch near permanently. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X