49 Champion head interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 49 Champion head interchange?

Will the later 170 heads interchange? The 49 has a mechanical temp guage. My head has a crack in outer part, weeps when warm.Need to remove some bolts to mount oil line brackets( its flopping in the breeze,some one left it loose) and should replace head gasket. The crack may get larger when torqued. Tried to get a head from parts dealer but they don't have one. Cast# is 199697. Later heads are available in parts catalogs.

It's been four hours and not a peep on what should be a gimme. I think, (don't really know) that any head off of any champion engine could be made to work, including the '55-'58 long stroke 185 Cu In engines.

Corrections are welcome.

Comment

Thanks Tom. Just like to know what difference would be other than temp sensor threads.

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
      It's been four hours and not a peep on what should be a gimme. I think, (don't really know) that any head off of any champion engine could be made to work, including the '55-'58 long stroke 185 Cu In engines.

Corrections are welcome.
      I found a run down on engine changes in Turning Wheels Sept. 2006 by Bill Cathcart. I guess I can wait a few days for more replys, someone has done this before. Keith

Comment

Working...
      X