Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Center Bellcrank "Steering" what's the difference ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Center Bellcrank "Steering" what's the difference ?

Between re - build kits. 51 - early 63 Cars and late 63 - 66 Cars. is it just bearings vs. bushings with same Shaft - or are the Shafts specific .
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Shafts are the same and the bellcrank castings are the same. The difference is the bore size in the casting. I forget the exact sizes, but I seem to remember the bushing is .125" wall thickness and the bearing is .1875".

Again, without remembering exact sizes, I had to bore the housing out .125" to switch over from bushings to bearings.

Comment

If you want to use Torrington Needle Bearings, just use a '51 to Early '63 Housing, and the believe it not, the tighter fitting Bushings use the Late '63 to '66 Housing.

Lots of people think a tiny pair of Bearings are better, but there really are no problems with the bushings.
      Your Choice.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the info Kevin.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks Rich. I kinda remembered controversy on the best - the smoothest etc. I never really thought much about what was under My cars as I was steering down the Road.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          If you want to use Torrington Needle Bearings, just use a '51 to Early '63 Housing, and the believe it not, the tighter fitting Bushings use the Late '63 to '66 Housing.

Lots of people think a tiny pair of Bearings are better, but there really are no problems with the bushings.
          Your Choice.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I just replaced the original in my '57 Packard with a bearing conversion unit I did in the 90's. I haven't driven it yet but the play now appears to be non-existent.
            Bill

Comment

If yours need replacement, either R&R will show great improvement in handling. If I only had the later, bushing hsg. I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought of re-bushing what I have. Just remember what's greasing under there.....will outlast you

Comment

I replaced the center pin assembly in an Avanti with a bearing type and the improvement was phenominal! Can't say the old one wasn't worn, but it was a fairly well maintained car.
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Your Choice.
                  Even better, double up on either the bearings or bushings and it probably will be the last time you have to address the slop issue...

Comment

Working...
                  X