fire wall smoothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: fire wall smoothing

I would like to have a cleaner like to the Hawk engine bay. I have tried to find a cover for the fire wall that would fit and not require me to weld anything in or destroy the original firewall. I have put a 350 SB in but have always done everything so that if someone wanted to restore the car it could be done by simply unbolting what I have done. Anyone know of a cover that would fit the bill?
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

I doubt that you will find anything available. If you are serious, just remove everything from the firewall and start with a lot of cardboard and quality masking tape. Just keep cutting and fitting until you have a pattern then cut it out of the material you prefer. I filled my firewall by welding up all the holes while it was on the rotisserie.

Bob

Comment

Personally, I don't think there's anything cleaner than a good body matching base and clear coat on the firewall, but you might consider some of the better sound deadening mats..http://hushmat.com/.. or have some thermal blanket material custom cut and edged.
      , Click image for larger version

Name:	P4070062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1704121

Comment

As per above, template it, fabricate it, insulate it....then attach it using spacers the same thickness of the insulation or
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Fun 2014 013.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1704123

Click image for larger version

Name:	53-july 2015 002.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1704124Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2015 005.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1704125
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Once again I am in awe of the fabrication skills in the group. Since most of this is beyond my skills I think I will outsource the work. Mostly i just wanted to cover up all the wires and holes that let in heat and fumes from the engine. Thanks for the info.
          Don Watson
          61 Hawk

Comment

Now for one last comment, I think smooth looks great on open hood cars like 32 Fords but on my 54K I filled the holes and openings leaving the factory stampings in place. I like the extra character it give the firewall. JMHO, Bob

Comment

Good point!
              Don Watson
              61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X