Removing Avanti Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Removing Avanti Radio

Can someone explain how to remove the radio from an Avanti? I want to have a clue before I just start taking things apart.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Does your car have a/c? If not, you have room to remove it from underneath after removing the vertical console panel. If your car has a/c...you pretty much have to remove the dash to access the radio.

It's not that bad a process...if you have small hands. The actual procedure is pretty straightforward but in practice it can be a real pain. Every car is different. Taking out the driver seat and removing the steering wheel and dropping the steering column to the floor helps a lot.

Just follow the assembly manual on removing the dash if you need to.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Pull the knobs off, and there are 9/16" nuts on the volume and tuning shafts. On the lower metal brace of the dash, there is a 3/8 self tapping bolt into the radio case. It is on the right side. If you have AC. It is much more difficult to slide the radio back and out to the side. Either way, the front side console pieces need to be removed. They are just screwed on with phillips head screws.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...antiam-fm.html

Comment

I don't know bout other Avanties with factory air. As other have said, remove the knobs, the bracket, the speaker wire, the antenna wire and the power wire. On mine I was able to remove the radio from the passenger side of the dash board with out removing the Dash board or the AC. Never thought about taking it out from the drivers side. It was quite a few years ago and I had the radio out several times. I don't remember what I did the with hoses going to the heater; but I did not remove any part of the heater. Today if I did it again I would remove the passenger seat.
          Ron

Comment

The Avanti AM/FM radio is larger than the AM only radio. The AM only radio is easier to remove.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have AC but the seats are already out so I've got a start!
              Last edited by ddub; 02-29-2016, 08:22 AM.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...