Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65/66 Mustang REAR END, Silver Hawk swap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    I called CJ Pony Parts and was able to get the part number - PBCR02 The also had the best price at that time. I used it with a 1966 mustang rear end.
    CJ Pony Parts has excellent prices for most things like this. I've used their 65/66 speedo cable in several modern engine/trans swaps and they always have the cheapest parts and excellent service.
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
      I use a new Mustang cable which was just about the same length as the original. I think I got it from CJ Pony Parts. I did use a additional Studebaker guide for the cable on the passenger side and made the brackets for the ends of the cables. I then hooked right up to the Studebaker front cable. Sorry, but I cannot find the receipt to get the part number.
      Well....lucky for me, one of my best friends restores 65/66 Mustangs and has a large building full of Mustang parts. If one of the factory Mustang cables will fit (work) I know that he will let me have whatever part I need. I help him a lot with his restorations because we are good friends so he won't have any problem helping me with these parts!!

Treblig

Comment

I found this site that has a lot of good information & dimensions: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...lorer8_8.shtml
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          I found this site that has a lot of good information & dimensions: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...lorer8_8.shtml

That's some excellent info!!!

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldtimer View Post
            The reason I used the wider Mustang rear was price, I couldn't find one for under $700. The E-brake cable was just cut to fit, used cable clamps to joint them and then I used the stock Lark holders and horseshoe adjuster. I'll get a picture for you.

Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words. Just wonder how the Mustang cable connect to the rear frame brackets?? I guess you had to shorten the wire cable part?? As for the narrow and wider rear ends...I only paid $50 for the wide one (67/68/69) but I paid $325 for the narrow one. I'll pull the better pumpkin out of the wide one, have it overhauled and install it in the narrow rear end. After I put the 65/66 pumpkin into the wide rear end I'll sell it for $200 or so.

Comment

Yea, the early Mavericks were top dollar followed by the early Mustang...... I bought my 8" for $150. The cables off of the the 8" rear fit right into the Lark brackets and I used the cable clamps I had in the garage. The stock Lark e-brake cable was one piece, so this way I didn't have to get a cable made or measure to get a cable made .

Click image for larger version

Name:	e-brake cable-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1704465Click image for larger version

Name:	e-brake cable-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1704466

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldtimer View Post
                Might check the pinion length also. I just did this on a '60 Lark and the driveshaft needed to be lengthened about 2.5 inches.
                If memory holds me correctly; if running a GM Th350 or similar length tranny, a 1964-77 GM A body 4 door/SW (Chevelle and friends) or a 1977-96 GM B body (Caprice and friends) may just be 100% plug n play is you use a conversion rear U joint to the Ford rear end.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                X