gas tank help. ReNu this one or make a new one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doofus View Post
    Tanks also collect Sif, Fonk, Gradoo, on top which holds moisture and causes rust/ leaks.
    Sif, Fonk, Gradoo ?? You've lost me on this one. Translation please .
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I used the local Gas Tank Re Nu franchise in 2006. Things have been fine. I run ethanol gas and additives. No problems. Peace of mind.

Comment

I would attempt to repair/restore any tank possible. It's one of those parts they aren't making anymore. Folks in the future will appreciate it.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Siff, Fonk and Gradoo, all the crap that collects on top of the gas tank ans doesnt get washed of on a regular basis. small rock chips will eat the galvanize off the tank surface and promote rust of both tank and trunk floor. Looking close at some rust spots will show once rust flake is gone a tiny hole is left. thats one reason tanks leak once boiled out. i have tank that is perfect on bottom and top is like swiss cheese!! last owner reported gas smell, he was a CASO and never filled tank, just put in enough to make required trip. i think it will end up in my 56 wagon project. Hope this helps, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Siff, Fonk and Gradoo, all the crap that collects on top of the gas tank ans doesnt get washed of on a regular basis. small rock chips will eat the galvanize off the tank surface and promote rust of both tank and trunk floor. Looking close at some rust spots will show once rust flake is gone a tiny hole is left. thats one reason tanks leak once boiled out. i have tank that is perfect on bottom and top is like swiss cheese!! last owner reported gas smell, he was a CASO and never filled tank, just put in enough to make required trip. i think it will end up in my 56 wagon project. Hope this helps, Doofus
            Thanks Gerald, I understand now .
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I pulled my tank down because it was leaking. It was leaking through the seal on the sending unit (as I suspected), but found a mouse nest on top of the tank that had been there 35 years, and caused moisture to collect and pitted the top of the tank. The interior of the tank looked good and was still galvanized. The exterior was very rusty and looked bad, and I was concerned that the exterior would rust through. I had the EXTERIOR of the tank bead blasted, then put on 3 coats of POR-15 before reinstalling the sending unit with a new gasket and a new float.

The sending unit works great now and the tank holds a full charge of fuel without leaking. I used new bolts to install it and cleaned out all the gravel from all the bracketry above it. While I had the tank out, I also coated every place I could reach with 2 coats of POR-15.
              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Word to the wise, any rust preventive product has to coat the entire surface to be functional. total encapsulation of part, small bracket or entire frame, same thing. if a small edge is left un coated you will eventually have rust getting under coated part and lifting off coating. a painted frame looks nice but you have to get EVERYWHERE to stop rust and that's tricky. of course if you live in a low humidity area like New Mexico you will have better luck with rust prevention. BTDT. Happy Rust Prevention, Doofus

Comment

If it's just old gas and varnish E85 fuel does a great job of cleaning. I took a gas tank that had been sitting with gas in it for 15 years. At this point it was all varnish with a terrible smell. I had heard about using acetone, but an old farmer told me E85 gas would do a better job and for less money. I strapped the tank in the back of my picukup and added 10 gallons of E85. After driving around with it for a couple days, I was amazed at how well it cleaned it out. Of course if your's has been setting with water in it, it wlll have lots of rust and the E85 won't help with that.
                  Mike

Comment

I used the RENU shop to go through my 62 Hawk tank. As JG61Hawk says "peace of mind". As info, someone had apparently tried to coat the inside of this tank with something or other. Float was all messed up and so was the tank.

To me, gas like we used to buy for our cars is what our Studebakers were engineered for in the first place. Things obviously change (aren't we all a bit "older") ? Weird thing the RENU shop was doing was cleaning lots and lots of tanks from E85 gas, mostly for dealers for late model cars. Those he couldn't fix had the roofs of the tanks all eaten out by the E85 gas.

As I said, things change. Boil out your tank for sure to get out all the crud and as StudeRich says, take out the sending unit. You'll be able to "see a lot" inside the tank when you do that.

Comment

I used E-85 to help eat the 22 year old tank liner out of my 50 Champion tank. That and a quart of lag bolts and wood screws removed it all, and I have a shiny new tank inside again. I put the used E-85 in a class jar and screwed the lid on tight last fall. The other day I was going to use the E-85 to clean some old oil and grease off my Model A engine pan. I would have done better throwing water on the pan. That E-85 smelled terrible and was practically all water, and did nothing to clean the oil pan. I pity the people who burn that crap in their cars and trucks and think they are saving money or the planet.

Comment

I took an original heavily gunked up 1955 gas tank to gas tank Renu. I am very happy with the results.

While I was there, I saw a long row of similar looking gas tanks and asked what they were. He replied they were five year old Chev truck tanks and they all required fixing and that the special connectors used for the gas lines were all being replaced with a pipe for fitting a rubber hose.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          I used E-85 to help eat the 22 year old tank liner out of my 50 Champion tank. That and a quart of lag bolts and wood screws removed it all, and I have a shiny new tank inside again. I put the used E-85 in a class jar and screwed the lid on tight last fall. The other day I was going to use the E-85 to clean some old oil and grease off my Model A engine pan. I would have done better throwing water on the pan. That E-85 smelled terrible and was practically all water, and did nothing to clean the oil pan. I pity the people who burn that crap in their cars and trucks and think they are saving money or the planet.
                          Hmmm. I've been running E85 in everything I own, from a '59 Sprite to a new Volvo, leaf blowers, generators, lawn misers, motorcycles, and a dozen other engines.

No problems ever, at all.

Pity someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X