Aftermarket Power Window Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Aftermarket Power Window Kits

Has anyone installed after market power windows in their Studebakers...especially a Hawk? Any feed-back?

I've looked at it on my GT but theres not a lot of extra room in either the front or back and the rear window doesn't come straight down. Would take some work to make it happen but would think there would be a market for it if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      Has anyone installed after market power windows in their Studebakers...especially a Hawk? Any feed-back?
      I have them in my 62 GT but it was done by the previous owner. They work well although very slow. I believe they were done by a company in PA but I may be able to find out more details if you don't have any success here. Here are a couple of shots in which you can see the results. They did a nice job, I think anyway!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080430.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1703930Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1703929

Comment

I believe there are kits designed to fit the C/K models. There is even a switch that is designed to work from your original window crank so it continues to look stock. Nudge the crank one way for up and nudge it the other way for down. But I've never done it myself.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

ROCKNE10 - I've already settled on the "window crank" switches. I just need to find a kit that isn't junk or I'll have to mortgage the house to buy...

Comment

http://www.nu-relics.com/
            Bill Foy
            1000 Islands, Ontario
            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I swear by SPW in Forsythe, GA.
              Lifetime guarantee.
              Works well.
              Have talked to him about Avanti kits, and Stude kits..
              He said if someone would lend him a door, he would do up a kit.
              Very nice people to do business with.

http://spwkits.clickforward.com/main.php

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
                Yep, nu-relics makes a bolt in kit for Stude C/K bodies. I installed a set in a 56J about 10 years ago. An easy install, that works well. They move slower, about same speed as an older Volvo. A common problem with them, and OEM Stude electric windows, is there is no stop switch when the windows fully open or fully closed positions. The only stop is the mechanical interference in linkage. No problem, simply keep an eye on the window, and let go of the switch when its time to. The OEM windows are actually a little harder to monitor and release, since they travel much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  I swear by SPW in Forsythe, GA.
                  Lifetime guarantee.
                  Works well.
                  Have talked to him about Avanti kits, and Stude kits..
                  He said if someone would lend him a door, he would do up a kit.
                  Very nice people to do business with.
                  Wish I had a spare Avanti door to loan him. The problem with the Avanti and C/K door is they are not very long from top to bottom and I have yet to find a unit of this style on the after-market that fits. Sounds like he may have the ability to make it happen so I hope someone can loan him a door of each type.

I know I'd be interested. Bob

Comment

Nu-Relics
                    nu-relics.com
                    has electric window systems specially for the limited space 1962-'64 GT Hawks. E-mailed to one of their rep's and he assured that the system is designed and sold specifically for the GT fit and worked properly. The kits are for the two front windows (did not inquire about the rear quarter windows) and are available with or w/out window switches. It is the only retro that I have located that will fit the GT.

Paul TK

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
                      Nu-Relics
                      nu-relics.com
                      has electric window systems specially for the limited space 1962-'64 GT Hawks. E-mailed to one of their rep's and he assured that the system is designed and sold specifically for the GT fit and worked properly. The kits are for the two front windows (did not inquire about the rear quarter windows) and are available with or w/out window switches. It is the only retro that I have located that will fit the GT.

Paul TK
                      That is where my 62 GT kits came from. They work very well and I would definitely recommend them. I posted a couple of pictures earlier in this thread.

Comment

I never have figured out why people like power windows. Even though I am 65 and disabled I can hand crank the windows up and down in the one car that has them I own faster than the two that have power windows. And I don't have to wait until the ignition switch is on to operate them. To me the only options a car really needs is AT, PS & PB and in some cars they are not really needed

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                          I never have figured out why people like power windows. Even though I am 65 and disabled I can hand crank the windows up and down in the one car that has them I own faster than the two that have power windows. And I don't have to wait until the ignition switch is on to operate them. To me the only options a car really needs is AT, PS & PB and in some cars they are not really needed
                          To be quite honest with you I would have preferred that my 62 GT did not have the power windows, just more to go wrong. The previous owner installed them and while they do work fine I would be happier if they were stock cranks.

Comment

Aftermarket Power Window Kits

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                            I thought the same thing when I bought a used '08 Chevy work truck with crank windows last year. My dog does not like it when I can't open his window every time he wants to hang his head out! I found an aftermarket conversion setup that will work for me from Electric-Life, and I'll need to take the time to put it in before I resume work on my Stude. Priorities!

Comment

In my case, It's a real pain to try putting down/up all 4 windows from the Drivers seat...

Comment

Working...
                              X