Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

89 Avanti rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 89 Avanti rotors

I kn ow this beyond the Studebaker models, but I'm trying to help a friend find front rotors for an 89 in his shop. They are the gm style but use the 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. Thanks in advance Lou Cote

Didn't the '89 chassis start as an '89 Caprice ?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yes they did, the stickey wicket is the 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. Lou Cote

Comment

Are you sure they use a 4 1/2 bolt pattern? I would have assumed they used 4 3/4".

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
          Yes they did, the stickey wicket is the 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. Lou Cote
          I think I'd check the bolt circle size again. All GM underneath so why would they bother to change hubs and axles to a 41/2 pattern. Bet it's really 43/4

Comment

I'm not in a position to check this as vehicle is in a shop in Carlsbad New Mexico. I will ask him to double check. Thanks Lou

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
              I'm not in a position to check this as vehicle is in a shop in Carlsbad New Mexico. I will ask him to double check. Thanks Lou
              Have him measure accurately as GM was converting to 5 X 5" bolt pattern around this time on the big bodied cars. IIRC, to 90 caprice 9C1 that gave up it's drivetrain to my 54K was 5X5 although CRS is always an issue. Bob

Comment

Per various wheel and Chevy Monte Carlo forums:
                CHEVY CAMARO, MONTE CARLO 1982-ON 5x120.65
                120.65 mm = 4.75 in, before front wheel drive versions.
                Hope that helps. If it is the Monte Carlo frame standard rotors will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  Per various wheel and Chevy Monte Carlo forums:
                  CHEVY CAMARO, MONTE CARLO 1982-ON 5x120.65
                  120.65 mm = 4.75 in, before front wheel drive versions.
                  Hope that helps. If it is the Monte Carlo frame standard rotors will fit.
                  I believe that a 1989 is on a Caprice, not Monte Carlo, frame/chassis.
                  I also believe that it is either 4.75 or 5 inch bolt circle. Many do not know how to measure this. It is most likely 5 inch.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If Caprice frame:CHEVROLET CAPRICE CLASSIC 1980-89 Metric: 5 X 120.7
                    Standard: 5 X 4.75 7/16-RH thread

Comment

I do not know how Avanti Motors did this, but why couldn't they have used a Ford 4 1/2 In. Bolt Circle Hub in a GM Rotor possibly to match the Rear Axles and drums which may have still been Dana (Studebaker) not GM?
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Different references yield a variety of answers on the 89 Caprice bolt circle diameter, however the point is moot, as to what the references say. Just be sure the bolt pattern is measured correctly no matter what the WWW says. That way he won't be paying shipping both ways when he returns them. If he doesn't have the fronts measure the rear, It will be the same. Bob

Comment

Therer "should be" a number stamped or cast into either the backside of the rotor, or on the outside edge, IF stamped, you may need to run some sandpaper around the edge to be able to read the number. With that number, finding a rotor would be pretty simple.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks for all the help,they are the caprice , comparison with new rotor from the parts store confirmed this. I guess that for some folks getting a correct measurement can be difficult, so I own one of those plastic discs with all the 5 bolt patterns on it, it has saved from buying the wrong bolt pattern wheels at swapmeets. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                            X