Borg Warner DG 200 Transmission Issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    The original recommendation was a good quality 10 weight motor oil. Modern transmission fluids are superior in every way. The issue can't conceivably be the type of fluid and, as Jerry recommends, first drop the pan and examine the filter. It's a very fine brass screen and, if not damaged, can be cleaned and reused. They are getting very hard to find.
    I purchased one at NAPA a few months ago.

Comment

This is all very helpful guy's, thanks. Some said to check the filter inside and one said that the converter clutch isn't holding. My friend has his project car on the auto lift that he owns in his garage. So it will be about two weeks before I can use it for my car.

However, this comes to mind, if worst case scenario. (I have a gut feeling that this will probably to be the case.) Is to have the DG 200 rebuilt.. Can any transmission shop do that? Or do I have to have it shipped somewhere. I can pull it out. That's not hard to do at all, I just never rebuilt a transmission before. If anyone here has ever had to have their DG 200 rebuilt. Was it expensive to do? Will any other Borg Warner DG ??? fit in there without any mods? Just wondering. Thanks.
      sigpic
      51 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser

Comment

Jerry Kurtz is our transmission rebuilder and no-one knows more about these.
        His prices are reasonable and a lot cheaper then having some transmission shop butcher it for $1600.00 and it still does not work right .
        Seven one seven 266 0509.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
          Jerry Kurtz is our transmission rebuilder and no-one knows more about these.
          His prices are reasonable and a lot cheaper then having some transmission shop butcher it for $1600.00 and it still does not work right .
          Seven one seven 266 0509.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this. Really, I do!
          sigpic

Comment

All of the Detroit Gear (DG) 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions will fit your Converter Housing and work in your '51, up to the '55 DG-250M with Low Gear Start.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              All of the Detroit Gear (DG) 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions will fit your Converter Housing and work in your '51, up to the '55 DG-250M with Low Gear Start.
              Sweet! I'll keep that DG - 250M in mind. Definitely!
              sigpic

Comment

Any automatic is supposed have fluid in the torque converter while running. When you shut it off, it is supposed to stay there. There is an anti drain-back valve in the valve body. If it gets dirty, and sticks the fluid will drain into the pan, over filling it. That is why you check the fluid level with the engine running, so the converter is full.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Emersoncollie
                  I agree with the torque converter being the possible source of your problem. The only place I know that has the parts and can rebuild the DG torque converters is FATCO. Please do not take your converter or transmission to a local shop. I have two DG transmissions laying on the floor of my shop that were taken to local shops that were not able to reassembly them. I have both a DG 200 and a 250M ready right now, along with an used torque converter, condition unknown. Both transmissions will be at both York and South Bend shows. Jerry Kurtz 717 308 1800

Comment

And whatever you do, never take any automatic transmission to AAMCO. They spend all their money on advertising and none of it on training their technicians.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

@- bezhawk: I know that about the torque converter, and that is what I've done. I checked it with the engine at idle and the transmission in drive. It would show that it is at the full mark.

@- jerezstude: Yeah, I figured that I would have to have it shipped somewhere, but I wasn't sure and wanted to ask first. I'll call later on today.

@- RadioRoy: I remember in 2001 where I used to work at, the company had a 95 Dodge Dakota and the transmission was going in it. So the company brought it to AAMCO and the transmission never shifted right. The company brings the truck back to them and it would shift, but not well and then a year later it goes out completely. For the life of me, I don't know how AAMCO is still in business.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                        some supplemental info..
                        I ran a 55 President with a DG250M for almost 9 (18-20K miles) years on Dexron-Mercon III. Never an issue. The clunk sound you heard was the hydraulic mechanism in the clutch lock up circuit engaging (3rd gear). Normal to me, although it was a subdued "clunk" in my case. While in drive, if you move the throttle abruptly, even slightly, then it will downshift (Direct to 2nd) and this is dependent on the demands of the engine at the time (vacuum) But...I'd like to emphasize that 3rd gear in a DG250 is not really a gearing, but the lockup mechanism engaging and cancelling any torque converter action. There is really no 3rd gear, per se..

As far as the overflow, I'd defer to the comments regarding the filter...
                        If the fluid was at the optimum during startup, then the level would rise in the transmission pan (body) when the car was shut off. Once started again, the front pump would pull in the required amount of fluid to circulate through and fill the system, then start dumping circulatory fluid back into the pan. If more comes back into the pan than it can sustain, then fluid is being drawn from the system ( converter?) and back to the pan but nothing is exiting the pan (being drawn) into the system. The pan overflows.... Usually the converter holds a lot of fluid that does not drain down ( unless the seals are worn)... Check the filter. It is bronze and can be cleaned and reused... You will have to ( should) get a new pan gasket...... Just my $.02
                        That's what it was. A blocked up filter. I cleaned it and now it shifts like it should. Thanks.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for reporting the fix. That adds to the knowledge base on this forum.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                          X