X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hutch
    replied
    Dwain,
    The one you pointed out from Studebaker Parts is EXACTLY the one I need. And that is the part number I ordered from Myers but unfortunately not what I received. Will call them today and see if they have the right one. They are great and if they can I am sure they will make it right. Seems like I should have been able to figure all this out a few posts ago but it is a confusing subject and I was thrown by the fact that when they shipped it they actually labelled it right p/n wrong spring -- and was also confused by the notes on pp 339 of parts catalog. Thanks for hanging in with me on this now I have to find one.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I think I would be looking at that Rear Axle Assy. to see if it is a Dana, Eaton, Banjo Type or even a 1 Ton variety.

The Parts Catalog is your best tool, I would not put too much strength in the Time Guide info. After all, it's purpose it Labor Hours not detail assembly instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Ok, I must have taken a wrong turn a couple intersections back. I thought you were looking for front brake springs.
    There is a picture of your 678392 spring on http://www.studebakerparts.com/ (out of stock unfortunately) and it looks different than the ones you bought.

Leave a comment:

• hutch
    replied
    Dwain,
    Yes, I have that book -- an original and a reproduction -- and they both agree with you. Its the rears that are the issue. The ones I bought from Myers for the rear on p/n 678392 are roughly the same length and width as the one you mentioned but the lengths and widths are totally different -- look at the picture above its almost an inch longer and its diameter is smaller. Today I am going to attempt to put the shorter ones on and just see what happens. I hate guessing though. Wish someone out there knew with certainty. Thank you for your response and help in getting to the bottom of this

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Studebaker parts book shows the 521567 spring for 2R10 front.
    2r spec book shows 11" front brakes, 14" rear for R10.

Leave a comment:

• hutch
    replied
    No doubt fronts are smaller than rears -- here is a picture of front shoe next to rear shoe. JackB believes they should be same -- possibility that the entire rear has been changed out? Hard to believe -- everything else has been by the book even the emergency brake stuff. The driveshaft that it came with is a two-piece with carrier bearing whereas a 2R10 driveshaft I bought from a man in Oregon is a solid tube but the ends of both drive shafts are identical. Can that be a clue? Mystery continues.

Dwain, I had forgotten this but I did find and order those brake springs you mentioned early on in this deal and I have them but because they are so much shorter than what came off the rear shoes I kind of forgot abot and dismissed them as more parts I bought that I didnt need, But I do have them for better or for worse. If JackB is right and the rear has been changed then I have bigger problems than that

Click image for larger version

Name:	2R10 Brake Shoe Comparison.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1703485

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    Is it true the rear brake drums are larger than the fronts ??? 1st time I've hear that....should be same size.....I could be wrong. tho- sounds like yopu might have mis-matched drums....

Leave a comment:

• hutch
    replied
    Dwain,

I looked in SI catalog early in my search and SI shows this number as a spring for 2R5,6,7 . So I did not explore it further. I did try to order from them before I had my manuals -- they do have a lot of stuff not in the catalog -- and Jim told me he did not have what I need. Maybe their catalog is wrong in terms of the application since I now have the part numbers out of the manual. For the price it can't hurt to take a chance. I have an order in to them anyway I need to check on so will call first thing in the morning. Thanks Dwain I sure hope you are right. Good catch

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    S.I. shows 521567 in their catalog.

Leave a comment:

• hutch
    started a topic Brakes: Brake springs

Brake springs

Having difficulty verifying/sourcing correct part numbers for brake shoe retract springs for my 2R10. Manuals have helped but still some mysteries and sourcing issues.

Name:	2R10 Service OP Manual.JPG
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1750253
    The Service Operation Time Guide shows front springs to be 521567 which I have not been able to find a source for yet........

Name:	2Rxx Parts Catalog.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1750256
    ...and the Parts Catalog shows fronts to be 521567 too but call it out to be 9/16" spring

Name:	2R10 front from my truck.JPG
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1750255
    But look at the spring that came off the truck (not that that is Gospel). It is over an inch longer than the rears, but its only 1/2" in diameter whereas the docs say 9/16". And -- no one that I have yet found sources it under the part number in the books. The front brake drum is smaller than the rear on this thing so you would THINK that the rear would be longer than the front. But that's not the way mine were, and I have verified that the ones I got from Myers for the rear are exact to the old ones I took off. I broke one of these longer springs taking it off. Anyone got a source for this? I am doubting the ones that came off are correct but its a pretty original old truck so I really dont know what to think.

Name:	2R10 new stock rears from Myers.JPG
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1750254
    The above parts I got from Myers and they are 678392 and match both books for rear. What gives here -- I am confused.

I do not have self adjust and I do have a T97 4speed with the flywheel type emergency brake so I don't have any of those extra parts in the rear.

Thanks guys
Working...
X