Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Starter Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Starter Solenoid

Here's a really dumb question! I just got a new starter solenoid...the type that mounts to the fender well (56 Sky Hawk), and there's nothing on it to indicate which wires hook up where on it. Help...

Do you still have the old one hooked up? If you do just follow the way that one is. They are fairly simple. On most the pos. from battery hooks to one side, Cable to starter to the other and hot from key to one of the small wires. That's what use to make it so simple to steal these cars when new. If you had a piece of wire to run from the pos. of battery to pos of coil and a pair of pliers you where on your way.

Comment

I don't have the old one...

Comment

The battery cable attaches to the large solenoid terminal closest to the battery. Any smaller #12 red wires and black wires also attach there, under the battery cable. The other large terminal gets the large starter cable only.
        If you look very closely at the two smaller terminals, they should be marked 'S' and 'I'. A green/black wire goes to the 'I' terminal, and a white/red wire goes to the 'S' terminal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fordsol.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1703414

Comment

A Ford style starter will not have a solinoid on it. The cable just attaches to the 3/8" copper lug on the side of the starter.= Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
            A Ford style starter will not have a solenoid on it. The cable just attaches to the 3/8" copper lug on the side of the starter.= Jim
            No problem, he found the Ford Solenoid on the Inner fender of his '56 Sky Hawk in Post #1.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

UPDATE - These old eyes found the "S" and "I". Thanks, guys...

Comment

Suggestion: Get yourself a nice small digital camera and photograph things BEFORE you take them apart. I have found that it saves me a lot of questions later.

Comment

Working...
                X