Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Why Different Size Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: Why Different Size Tires?

Something I can't figure out. The 56 Golden Hawk came Stock with 7.10x15 tires, and the Sky Hawk came Stock with 6.70x15 tires. BOTH came Stock with 15x5 rims. Instead of using 205/75x15 (6.70x15 replacement) tires on a Sky Hawk rim, why wouldn't I be able to use 215/75x15 (7.10x15 replacement) tires, since both rims are the same size?

Who says you can't?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Your first question - a heavier and more prestigious car.
      Your second question - no reason that I can think of (except that I believe that your cross reference sizes are one high).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is no reason not to use P215X75R15 Tires many of of us have done that successfully, except:

The only downside is the Tire Mfg. MINIMUM recommended Wheel widths for that Tire are 5.5-7.00 Inches.

Have a few wider than recommended RADIAL tires burst the old bias ply designed narrow Wheels, YES they have, under what conditions, rusted wheels, loose Rim rivets, spirited driving, overloading etc. I do NOT know. Many have NOT!

Click the Orange link to Tire Sizes and Specs.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...SETTER-SE.aspx
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-19-2016, 03:47 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X