rear end compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: rear end compatability

Hi. This is not for the purists. I am swapping out my 232 with a SBC 327 high performance, a Muncie 4 speed . What rear end will work. Thanks Marty

Dana's are what Studebaker used. Get a Dana 44 from a '65 or '66. These are factory flanged axles. '64 and earlier are not flanged. But Fairborn Studebaker has a kit
    to replace the axles with flanged. You can also get a new Dana 44 built your way from Currie. This will run about $3500. Depending on the housing, Dana rear ends
    were/are geared anywhere from a 3:07 to 4:88. For the street, I'd probably go with a 3:54 or a 3:73.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Get a 8.8 out of a late model ford explorer. They have posi. and disc brakes and are around $250 at most junk yards.

Comment

The 8.8 Ford explorer or Ranger is your cheapest bet, but if you have the bucks for a High Performance 327 you should swap in a 9" Ford--special built unit. You didn't mention what you are removing the 232 from, but all Studes use a very narrow rear axle assembly, so cheap modern rears aren't plentiful, without cutting housings and specialty axles, or modifying the body to clear your tires, your choices are limited. The old Dana 44 is as strong, but at the very least, you need flanged axles, either a conversion from Fairborn, or finding a 65 up flanged axle set up, or even an Avanti II through 85 would work fine.

Comment

Thank you Marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You Marty

Comment

Thank You. 1952 Commander Starlight coupe, this is not a big buck project. So far Car, title, motor, trans, wheels, seats. I'm in at $2500 Thanks for the help Marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Marty

Comment

I agree with the 8.8. I am running one in a Mustang drag car and its a solid unit.

Comment

An 8" Ford is every bit as strong as the GM 10 bolt and unless you're pushing a lot of HP with plenty of traction and side-stepping the clutch, will more than handle anything your 327 will put out. They're easier to find in the narrow widths required for the Studes, have a removable center section like the 9" and also have a 3rd pinion bearing on the snout to prevent deflection of the pinion under load, like the 9", and this what gives it the strength in a small package. Lighter and less parasitic losses than the 9" and more than up for the task.

All that said, they're getting a little bit harder to find, while the 8.8" is stronger and far more common. It comes in a variety of ratios and limited slips, and is easier to find with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern common to the Studes (the 8" with 5x4.5" was pretty much only in early Mustangs, V8 Mavericks & Mustang IIs - otherwise they came with a 4 bolt pattern). The 8.8 is an excellent rear and should be easy to source at any local wrecking yard or your local craigslist...

There are many Ranger & Explorer 8.8" rears that are the exact width of the Dana. However, if you choose the 8.8" route, you may look into the 8.8" out of a 90-92 Ranger with the big 4.0V6 (only model 8.8 came in those years) as they're 1.5" narrower than the stock Dana and should let you put an 8" wide wheel/tire combo in comfortably w/o custom offset. I've got 16x7 w/235/65R16 tires on the rear of my '53 Coupe and they're awfully close to my fender lip (I lightly rolled the lip to get a little more clearance). Although I've not had any rubbing in almost 1000 miles, I'd feel better with an additional 3/4" on each side...
                Last edited by Flat Ernie; 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM.
                -------------------
                Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Actually the Mustang II V-8 still came with the 4 X 4.25 bolt pattern. But, at an extra cost the 5 bolt conversion is readily available. It is correct that the V-8 Maverick's came with the 5 bolt, 8". It is also correct that they are getting harder to find.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                    Actually the Mustang II V-8 still came with the 4 X 4.25 bolt pattern.
                    Perhap only the Mustang II Cobras came with the 5-lug? I had an 8" from a V8 Mustang II that was 5-lug years ago....I think it was out of a Cobra version though
                    -------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

I used to own a Mustang II Cobra some time ago and it was 4 bolt pattern. It was a 5.0 v8 and a 4 speed. Ford kept using the 4 bolt on all mustangs up to 93. There were some exceptions in the late 80s and early 90s like the Cobra and the SVO.

Comment

Our '53 coupe has a 350/700r4 in it. We originally ran the stock Dana and it work very well, but changed to the Ford 8" from a '70 Mavrick because it is a couple inches narrower and gear selection/changes are easy. We're running a 3.0/1 ratio and it works great. We currently have 215-70-15 tires on 6" Chrysler wheels and there's lots of room for larger tires/wheels.

Comment

I used a 95 Ranger 8.8 rear in my 1961 Lark. It was almost the exact width of the Dana it had. The pinion on these 8.8s is offset to the passenger side by 3 inches. To narrow this rear 3 inches for tire clearance, I had the driver side shortened by 3 inches and used a passenger side axle in it. Had to cut off old spring mounts and add new ones anyway. Used a u-joint adapter made to put 8.8s in a Jeep, and was able to use my unmodified driveshaft.Click image for larger version

Name:	141028_001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1703403Click image for larger version

Name:	141028_002 - Copy.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1703404Click image for larger version

Name:	150204_001.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1703405Click image for larger version

Name:	150204_002.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1703406

Comment

WWogg That's what my nephew does with them. He gets the rear end with extra axle for $300 or less from his local wrecking yard and cuts and welds them up in his garage. I'am on the list to get one when he gets the time and a couple guy's in the local SDC are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                              I used to own a Mustang II Cobra some time ago and it was 4 bolt pattern. It was a 5.0 v8 and a 4 speed. Ford kept using the 4 bolt on all mustangs up to 93. There were some exceptions in the late 80s and early 90s like the Cobra and the SVO.
                              Perhaps the one I had had been changed for 5 lugs. I just know what I had and what it was out of...I assumed it was stock. Happy to be wrong on this one...
                              -------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X