Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Truck Lock is inoperable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Truck Lock is inoperable

1962 GT Hawk.

Can I go through to the trunk from the inside after removing the rear seat backs or drill the lock out from the outside?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Jim
    Studebaker1962

Pull the back seat! I've always used a ratchet and socket,with about 3-4 feet of extensions on it to unbolt trunk latch from body. I don't remember on the Hawks whether there is enough room to actually crawl into the trunk from the back seat area.-But definitely no need to drill your lock!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

You can crawl into the trunk with the backseat out. That is assuming your personal diameter does not exceed the size of the opening. I just can fit through there on my 61. Once in the trunk you can either unbolt the latch from the tail panel or reach up into the big square opening in the trunk inner liner and pop the lock by hand. Once you get your hand on the little wire rod that connects the lock to the latch, all you have to do is give it a little pull to release the latch. This explanation assumes that the 62 latch assembly is the same as a 61. I think they would be the same.

Good Luck
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I once had to crawl through when someone attempted to gain forceful access and destroyed the lock on my '53, while there were two extra tires plus the spare in there. Fortunately at the time I only weighed 140 pounds! A very long extension on a ratchet is a GREAT idea!
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Tape or somehow cover the sharp edges that are bound to be on the metal supports behind the seat.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            Tape or somehow cover the sharp edges that are bound to be on the metal supports behind the seat.
            Great advise! That metal can cut you open like it's a can opener and you're the can. Same advise applies when working on window regulators.

Comment

Try this.. after you get back inside...

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...runklatch.html
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
              X