Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Valve Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Valve Lifters

What is the diameter of the valve lifters in a '56 289 engine?...

.904", same as AMC, Mopar and Packard.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack - Do you happen to know what the lifter bore spacing is?...

Comment

1.668" + or - .005"

Comment

Thanks. I'm wondering if Mopar small block roller lifters would drop right I....

Comment

You planning on running a roller lifter on a flat tappet camshaft?

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
            Thanks. I'm wondering if Mopar small block roller lifters would drop right I....
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I bought 2 cams from Mike VV. I measured 3 blocks I had, since I know that in the R3 heads the valves are .090" farther apart. One being B48 the other 2, 63-64 full flow blocks. They all had lifter bores that were 1.668" center to center. I tried BB Chrysler rollers and the dog bones were too wide and the lifters were too tall. So I went to Chevy .903" rollers using the dog bone from a 4.3 Chev. V6. The 2 short ones. The 4.3 is the same as a SBC on 4 cylinders, but has 2 cylinders that the lifters are a little closer together that the others. I never tried the small block Chrysler lifters. When you have to spend $500 for a set of lifters, you don't go about buying one of everything.

Comment

I ran the Hemi rollers in my last engine and just did a little grinding on the webs up under the top of the deck (so the links would clear).
                They drop right in.
                My next engine will probably run the Hemi roller hydraulic lifter (to keep better contact between roller and cam lobe)

An interesting read:
                http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/engine/dyno-shootout-solid-roller-vs-hydraulic-roller/
                Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-01-2016, 04:29 PM.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X