Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installing new crank gear (289 V8); without benefit of HM861 installer tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys..for help
    rawise

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
      Right..thank. You.. it is ..a V8. I was hoping just to get the cam out..to inspect it..an if it needed to be replaced it I was going to get it reground to an r2 or r3 speck .right now just 289. Thank you gentlemen.
      FWIW, the R3 cam is a bit stout for a standard 289" compression ratio. Normally aspirated on the street, it needs at least 9.5 to 10.5 compression to have any low end at all.

Just remember, if you have your cam reground to a higher spec, you'll need new or reground lifters and high performance valve springs to go in with it.

If and when you decide, we've got R2 and R2+ regrinds on the shelf and can regrind your lifters.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

FWIW, the R3 cam is a bit stout for a standard 289" compression ratio. Normally aspirated on the street, it needs at least 9.5 to 10.5 compression to have any low end at all.

Just remember, if you have your cam reground to a higher spec, you'll need new or reground lifters and high performance valve springs to go in with it.

If and when you decide, we've got R2 and R2+ regrinds on the shelf and can regrind your lifters.

jack vines
        Hello Jack,
        So y'all are able to restore the spherical face of our tappet lifters? That is good news, as shops what that ability are fading faster than the sunset. A few years ago, I sent some off for resurfacing. They returned perfectly conical (not spherical). They were spares anyway for 56J, so I just tossed them. I recently bought a set of Johnson Hi-Lifts for 56J, as spare. Similar situation with the fading technology of regrinding tappet cams. Glad to hear there's still a few shops around that can do it accurately.

Comment

Thank you Jack about everything .an I well know where to go an get a new cam an lifters an spring s.
          rawise

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Hello Jack,
            So y'all are able to restore the spherical face of our tappet lifters? That is good news, as shops what that ability are fading faster than the sunset. A few years ago, I sent some off for resurfacing. They returned perfectly conical (not spherical). They were spares anyway for 56J, so I just tossed them. I recently bought a set of Johnson Hi-Lifts for 56J, as spare. Similar situation with the fading technology of regrinding tappet cams. Glad to hear there's still a few shops around that can do it accurately.
            Hi, Joe,

Prepare to be a bit disillusioned about the Johnson lifters we're getting today. The specification for the Packard V8 lifter is for a 30-degree spherical radius. That's a pronounced crown. The Johnsons are coming through with a much larger radius; they're 'flatter' than the OEM Packard lifters. Since we buy lifters by the case of 240 pieces, my last order two years ago, I asked their Technical Department why the change. "We'll get back to you on that." and never heard a word.

Since few hobby Packard V8s get as many miles as yours do, the durability of the new Johnsons are unknown at this time. In any case, they're probably better to use than our regrinds, if only because of the hassle of disassembly and cleaning necessary on hydraulic lifters.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
              That's disappointing, but not surprising. Probably made offshore, with a Johnson label attached, like so many other things nowadays. As usual, close but no cigar. I remove hydraulic lifters from the box, place them in a large metal coffee can, and fill to the brim with oil. That way, they're in a time capsule for when/if ever needed. It's always good to have a spare set for 352. NOS appears to be long gone.
              Thanks for the update.

OOPS: did you mean 30 minute, or 30 degree radius???
              Joe H

Comment

Thank you Joe,.. Raymond
                rawise

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Jack,
                  That's disappointing, but not surprising. Probably made offshore, with a Johnson label attached, like so many other things nowadays. As usual, close but no cigar. I remove hydraulic lifters from the box, place them in a large metal coffee can, and fill to the brim with oil. That way, they're in a time capsule for when/if ever needed. It's always good to have a spare set for 352. NOS appears to be long gone.
                  Thanks for the update.

OOPS: did you mean 30 minute, or 30 degree radius???
                  Joe H
                  Joe, the good news is the Johnsons are still made in here in the US and other than the change in radius appear to be excellent quality.

And yes, my bad on terminology; the Packard technical specifications called out a 30" (inch) spherical radius.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X