Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Aligning Camshaft and Crankshaft on Commander 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Aligning Camshaft and Crankshaft on Commander 245

Okay, I have my engine block back from the shop...they cleaned it and measured it...found a crack in the head, so I replaced it through SI...

I have the Camshaft in, the valve train in, the Crankshaft and the Connecting Rods/Pistons in...

Now for the proper alignment of the Cam and Crank...

I have the #1 piston at the top of the cylinder...understanding that it takes two revolutions for the engine to go through the entire compression through exhaust strokes, how can I tell by watching the valve train that I am ready to drop the timing gear into place?

I know that I need to find the two dots on the crank gear teeth, and slip the marked timing gear tooth between them...

I also deduce that, if the crank spins clockwise when viewing from the front, that the cam will spin counter-clockwise...so... where will the other cylinder valves be as the number one valves are closed?

Sorry to sound dumb, but at 57 years old, and coming from an air-cooled background, I feel like a fish out of water sometimes...I appreciate whatever anybody out there can provide to me...

Thank you, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody out in Studebaker Forum Land...

ScottyClick image for larger version

Name:	Engine on Stand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1750136
    Attached Files

You might want to install the timing cover back plate before putting on the cam gear!. It doesn't matter on the sequence of the cam, as long as the marks line up properly, and the keyway lines up. You cant get it 180 degrees off like you can the spark. The ignition is what sorts out the combustion process. That is, that the valves are closed twice in the four stroke process, and the spark only once. The cam only rotates once fr every two revolutions of the crank.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      You might want to install the timing cover back plate before putting on the cam gear!. .

Is this based on personal experience?
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

STUDEBAKER shop manual is a must have IMHO. I will caution you that the head gasket can be installed wrong resulting in an intermittent cooling issue. Yes speaking from experience on this one.

Originally posted by Scotty Bob View Post
        Okay, I have my engine block back from the shop...they cleaned it and measured it...found a crack in the head, so I replaced it through SI...

I have the Camshaft in, the valve train in, the Crankshaft and the Connecting Rods/Pistons in...

Now for the proper alignment of the Cam and Crank...

I have the #1 piston at the top of the cylinder...understanding that it takes two revolutions for the engine to go through the entire compression through exhaust strokes, how can I tell by watching the valve train that I am ready to drop the timing gear into place?

I know that I need to find the two dots on the crank gear teeth, and slip the marked timing gear tooth between them...

I also deduce that, if the crank spins clockwise when viewing from the front, that the cam will spin counter-clockwise...so... where will the other cylinder valves be as the number one valves are closed?

Sorry to sound dumb, but at 57 years old, and coming from an air-cooled background, I feel like a fish out of water sometimes...I appreciate whatever anybody out there can provide to me...

Thank you, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody out in Studebaker Forum Land...

Scotty[ATTACH=CONFIG]50260[/ATTACH]

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

When you align the timing marks on the two gears the engine will be in the firing position for #6 cylinder. Both valves for #6 will be closed. Valves for #1 cylinder will be partly open or 'rocking' if you rotate the engine back and forth slightly.
          Before you attempt to install the oil pump/distributor drive shaft in the proper position, you must rotate the engine one full turn to get #1 cylinder into firing position. The cam gear marks at that point will be half-way around on the other side of the gear.
          Last edited by Dwain G.; 12-24-2015, 03:50 PM. Reason: add missing word 'marks'.

Comment

Working...
          X