How Did He Do THIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How Did He Do THIS

I was reading another thread on the Studebaker Specific Forum, and a guy had a question about swapping a trans into his truck. Someone suggested that he look on his local Craigslist, as there was an engine/trans for sale. I looked at the Craigslist ad, and the second picture of the engine had a picture of a spin on oil filter in place of the regular Can type filter. HOW did this guy do it...or is it something common which I'm not aware of?...Click image for larger version

Name:	spin on 259 oil fiter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1750125

it something common which I'm not aware of?...
    Those adapters are available both factory and aftermarket. Been pretty much a bolt-on for going on fifty years now.

FWIW, the filtering efficiency doesn't change. It's pretty much the same filter in the spin-on-off as in the permanent cannister.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 12-21-2015, 06:57 AM.
    PackardV8

Comment

The Studebaker Spin-on Oil Filter Base is available New (NOS) at Studebaker Vendors.
      These were used on 1958 to Early 1962 Studebakers and use the PB50 Fram or equivalent WIXS or NAPA Filter replacements.

In the Day, they were slow to catch on for Frugal people and especially Fleet users, because of the higher cost. To some it was poor/wasteful economics to throw away the Can, when only the Filter media was contaminated.

In today's throw away society, you would not think twice if given a choice to select the "Easy Way"!

GM and even Studebaker (for Fleet use) developed a Full Flow Filter Base and Canister for a disposable Element to drop in the "Can". But of course it does require a Full-Flow Filter designed Engine block.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I notice that the engine also has a custom overflow jug.
        Radiators with the tank on top don't need to be kept full to the top.
        The top tank is the expansion tank.

Comment

I know exactly what will happen when that canister is unscrewed. I think I'll stick with the Stock type...

Comment

not if you punch a hole in the top of the filter when it is time to change the oil. won't leak a drop if the can is empty . . .
            sigpic
            JohnP, driving & reviving
            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Yessir...
              A 'closed' cooling system (with the jug) requires a different 'closed system' radiator cap.
              That cap allows coolant out into the tank, but only allows coolant back into the radiator on cool down.

An 'open' system will let coolant push out the tube, but will allow air in (at the cap) on cool down.
              So...Putting a coolant tank on with an 'open system' cap will do nothing.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              I notice that the engine also has a custom overflow jug.
              Radiators with the tank on top don't need to be kept full to the top.
              The top tank is the expansion tank.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Yessir...
                A 'closed' cooling system (with the jug) requires a different 'closed system' radiator cap.
                That cap allows coolant out into the tank, but only allows coolant back into the radiator on cool down.

An 'open' system will let coolant push out the tube, but will allow air in (at the cap) on cool down.
                So...Putting a coolant tank on with an 'open system' cap will do nothing.
                It will catch any overflow (sometimes happens, even though it shouldn't).

Once, at work, I got called by security and told that I had to remove my car from the company parking lot because it was leaking something. It had leaked some coolant out the overflow tube when I parked the car. I simply moved the car to a different parking lot. The worst part of this is the guy that reported the spillage worked a couple of doors from me and probably knew that it was my car and instead of telling me, he called Emergency Control who made a big deal out of it.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is very little to no leakage when removing the "upside down" Oil Filters due to the Built in restrictor in the Intake and Valving on the output side.
                  Also you can wait (minutes, hours, overnight) after engine shutdown for most of it to drain.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I usually make a lot more of a mess with the bottom mounted filters on brand-x's than I do on my Hawk.
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I bought on of those cartridge filter kits to use on my 54 Sunbeam Alpine in the late 60's.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have even seen a bracket made to flip the filter over so it is permanently upside down. This way no oil should exit the filter even when warm. I have had one of those and used to place a plastic bag under the filter before removal. I often wondered if it affected the filtering process as the filter was designed to be the other way originally but I never looked into it.

Len

Comment

If you buy the right filter it should have an anti drainback valve that keeps the oil in it when the engine is not running.

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                          I have even seen a bracket made to flip the filter over so it is permanently upside down. This way no oil should exit the filter even when warm. I have had one of those and used to place a plastic bag under the filter before removal. I often wondered if it affected the filtering process as the filter was designed to be the other way originally but I never looked into it.

Len
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	My 32 #1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1703136I kept the can type oil filter on the last car I built. I located/drilled a hole in the base (canister was upside down) and tapped it for a brass petcock fitting. Sure eliminated the mess when changing the filter. I'll bet I could do the same to the filter can itself, in my Hawk...

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              If you buy the right filter it should have an anti drainback valve that keeps the oil in it when the engine is not running.
                              That was over 20 years ago and I often wondered if the filter that was used was the right type. I only used it for a few months and returned the engine back to the full flow filter. There was a block off plate where the full flow filter housing used to be. The partial flow setup was used for filtering. There was a clutch cylinder mounted that interfered with the full flow filter hence the use of the remote filter. I changed the clutch back to mechanical and reinstalled the full flow filter. Much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X