59 lark VI GAS LEAK help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 lark VI GAS LEAK help!

ok, still a new studebaker owner and i just walked outside to see the gas tank leaking. not sure if it's just a seal or anything like that, but i need to know the best procedure.
    i have no idea if the gas tank is original or not and i don't know if it's replaceable with standard gas tanks.

should i just go get it checked out to see if it's a seal?
    it's sunday so all places are closed

help!!!

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri

It might be good to know how full your tank is at this point. Did you fill up? Some leaks don't show up until you get more than half full.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yes, I just filled up this morning, but I've had gas in it all week and this is the first time it's done this. It was fine this morning.
      My dad thinks it might be a hose leak or something..?

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri

Comment

The only "seal" is a gasket under the fuel gage setting unit. That part can be seen by lifting the little disk in the front on the trunk floor. Other leak spots are the small rubber hose to the fuel line (if present) The big hose from the gas filler tube, or a pin hole rust area in the tank. Your tank is unique to Studebaker, but it's the source of the leak, it can be repaired.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
        63 Daytona HT
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        57 Silver Hawk
        53 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Take a look underneath, check the hose from the filler neck. Then look inside under the spare tire, there is a round hole that should have a cover, to access the sending unit, it may be leaking. Each of these is an easy fix. If the tank really has a hole in it, it will leak until the gas is below the level of the hole. My experience with the hose and sender is that factors like a full tank, a hot day causing pressure, will cause a temporary leak, and or a "smell" in the garage.
          No smoking.

Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar
          1963 Lark. F.S.
          sigpic
          Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar

Comment

First, be sure it's not just coming out the top of the filler neck. A full tank and fuel expansion can be quickly dismissed. There's a rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank that could be cracked. The tank itself could be rusted through and the fuel line from the tank could be rusted.
            Do not panic until you've jacked up the car and looked underneath to determine the real situation and then, don't panic. The worst case would be a rusted tank and that's fixable. There are several threads on this forum about self-repair and professional tank services. Gas tanks are rare and I've seen them resurrected when only the bottom half existed.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks thanks thanks! you've eased my mind! my dad is coming over to help look at it in a few hours.
              good things is it has stopped leaking, and it only leaked probably one gallon, so.. hopefully it's not the tank, and easily repairable.
              the car doesn't have any rust on it anywhere, so i highly doubt it's a rusted tank (it's been very well preserved) so, i really think it discounts the tank.
              but.. i will find out soon enough. thank you all so much! i'm so happy there are smarter people out there!

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri

Comment

Danielle,
                If it does turn out to be the filler neck hose, a straight piece from your local auto parts store will not work. The filler hose has a slight angle and a straight piece will kink when you try to install it. The correct hose is available from Studebaker vendors.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                33 Rockne 10
                51 Commander Starlight
                53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I bought a new tank from one of the Stude. vendors, and it was faster and about as cheap as messing with the old tank. All of the above comments are very good advice. Sight from the spot on the floor up to the tank and it may give you a clue. Mine leaks out the filler if I take on too much gas and sit on an incline......Brad

Comment

My 60 Lark had set for 28 years, the first time I filled it up, it leaked, scared me, then I found it was the Sender hole, under the hole in the trunk. My lark has a solid fill pipe, no rubber connector.

Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe
                    '60 Lark VI
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Her car should have the metal tube filler neck also.
                      Mine leaked around the joint to the tank(car had been hit on the rear panel during a P.O.'s ownership).
                      Fortunately, SASCO had new tanks in stock back then(1999).

5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28
                      4E2
                      59 Lark
                      etc

Comment

It was actually leaking from the tank near the front of the car, so it might be coming from where it actually leaves the gas tank. But still not sure, haven't been able to get it up on a rack yet. Hopefully today or tomorrow, but it's not leaking anymore which is good!
                        It's not leaking from the filler neck for sure. So, we'll see.

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas_vintage

good things is it has stopped leaking, and it only leaked probably one gallon, so.. hopefully it's not the tank, and easily repairable.
                          the car doesn't have any rust on it anywhere, so i highly doubt it's a rusted tank (it's been very well preserved) so, i really think it discounts the tank.

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri
                          A rust-free body doesn't necessarily imply a rust-free gas tank. Rusty fenders are caused by frequent driving in inclement weather. Gas tank rust is caused when water condenses inside a gas tank and settles to the bottom of the tank. This usually only happens when a car sits for a long time without being driven, especially in areas with high humidity (Missouri?). In other words, the very conditions that prevent rust in the body can cause rust in the gas tank. Fortunately, replacements tanks for your car, both new and used, are readily available.
                          Skip Lackie
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Given what you've told us, I'd wager it's a bad gasket on the sending unit. If it only leaked when you filled it and it stopped after some leaked out, the only high place it could leak from would be that sending unit. That thing sit's on top of the tank in a bit of an indentation. Sorta to the front of the tank as well, so that sounds like the source of the leak.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:

A rust-free body doesn't necessarily imply a rust-free gas tank. Rusty fenders are caused by frequent driving in inclement weather. Gas tank rust is caused when water condenses inside a gas tank and settles to the bottom of the tank. This usually only happens when a car sits for a long time without being driven, especially in areas with high humidity (Missouri?). In other words, the very conditions that prevent rust in the body can cause rust in the gas tank. Fortunately, replacements tanks for your car, both new and used, are readily available.
                              Skip Lackie
                              Where can you get replacement tanks? I would appreciate it!
                              Thanks!

** danielle m. **

Springfield, Missouri

Comment

Working...
                              X