Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Investigating the failure of brake switch with DOT 5 brake fluid (silicone).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Giving this a little further thought...it wouldn't surprise me if these switches are not swedged (sealed) at final assembly in open atmosphere. That would entrap oxygen inside the contact chamber. The solution could be to enclose the final assembly in a nitrogen filled chamber. That would exclude oxygen and prevent oxidation that results in the corrosion seen in these switches.

I was once tasked with solving a problem a customer was having with dispensing an adhesive in a manufacturing operation. The material was very unstable when exposed to air. Attempts to pump it resulted in seized pumps, plugged lines, and clogged nozzle tips. My solution was to dispense it using a pressure pot pressurized with compressed nitrogen instead of compressed air.

Regarding these switches, the flaw in my theory is that if entrapped "normal" air is the culprit, it would be a common failure regardless of what type brake fluid is used. Therefore, there must be something else going on in the presence of DOT 5. I would like to have a failed brake switch from a system still using DOT 3 fluid and see if it is due to the same kind of corrosion. Problem is, I can't recall ever having a switch fail on regular brake fluid. I've had wires to fail, and bulbs burn out, but can't recall a single incident having to replace a switch.
    A couple more thoughts. I'll bet swagging doesn't provide an air tight seal between the metal and hard plastic unless there is a provision for a seal or sealant at that interface which is not obvious to me in the pictures. H2O is a tiny atom and it can get a lot of places. Like through the plastic wrap you have around food in the fridge so a swagged interface is a weak barrier.

Silicone has been a material of choice for many years as a di-electric fluid/grease to resist corrosion of electrical connections.

I've had several brake switches fail with Dot3/4 over the years but not Dot5. That's not a large data base as my cars with Dot5 are treated much better than the ones with Dot3/4.

It's possible that with the hydrophylic Dot3 on the other side of the diaphram moisture will permeate into it while the Dot5 won't allow it. I'd like to see them pack the switch with Silicone fluid and that should be the end of those issues unless there is something in the formulation of Dot5 that causes corrosion.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    John, if you decide to get rid of the hydraulic switch all together, here is how I converted my '54 sedan to a mechanical switch: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e+switch+sedan

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Giving this a little further thought...it wouldn't surprise me if these switches are not swedged (sealed) at final assembly in open atmosphere. That would entrap oxygen inside the contact chamber. The solution could be to enclose the final assembly in a nitrogen filled chamber. That would exclude oxygen and prevent oxidation that results in the corrosion seen in these switches.

I was once tasked with solving a problem a customer was having with dispensing an adhesive in a manufacturing operation. The material was very unstable when exposed to air. Attempts to pump it resulted in seized pumps, plugged lines, and clogged nozzle tips. My solution was to dispense it using a pressure pot pressurized with compressed nitrogen instead of compressed air.

Regarding these switches, the flaw in my theory is that if entrapped "normal" air is the culprit, it would be a common failure regardless of what type brake fluid is used. Therefore, there must be something else going on in the presence of DOT 5. I would like to have a failed brake switch from a system still using DOT 3 fluid and see if it is due to the same kind of corrosion. Problem is, I can't recall ever having a switch fail on regular brake fluid. I've had wires to fail, and bulbs burn out, but can't recall a single incident having to replace a switch.

Leave a comment:

• Rerun
    replied
    Many years ago, I found that the best solution for my '63 Avanti (with DOT5) was to simply install a mechanical stoplight switch. All this required was fabrication of a simple bracket to mount the switch above the brake pedal. I ran the wires out to the harness at the original switch location and used bullet connectors to plug in. This left the original wiring unmolested. End of problem. An additional benefit is that the brake lights come on sooner than with the pressure switch.

Leave a comment:

• JLB
    replied
    I've had this same problem on my '33 Ford. In the Hot Rod World, the suggested solution is to run the brake light switch with a relay. I did just that and it has been 5 years since I made the change and no problem.........yet. Prior to that it was almost an annual event and the location under the floorboard in a very tight set up was a bear to change. BTW Harley Davidson sells a switch that they claim is silicone friendly. Why should the rely make such a difference? I have no idea, but to date it is working for me.

Leave a comment:

• stude dude
    replied
    As a side note... it may also be a quality issue. I have tried various brands of this switch on my cars and get between 6 months and 5 years depending on the brand. I also know of at least one original Studebaker switch that has been in service on a silicon fluid equipped car since 1978 and is still working well. Avanti Motor Corporation switched to silicon fluid around the same time and didn't have a problem. Along the way something has changed.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Good job John.

A thought, Silicon is the material found in electrical connectors to keep them from corroding. It doesn't like moisture (hydrophobic) and generally doesn't allow moisture infiltration. It would probably be better to pack the switch with silicon to reduce the corrosion but as opposed to Dot 3/4/5.1 it may not adsorb the moisture that enters the switch but just let's it reside there and corrode the contacts. Packing the switch with silicone would keep the moisture out. I'll bet a piece of copper placed in Dot 5 will be there for years with no corrosion. Bob

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Excellent work John! This may be why that some Members, I believe Jon Myer is one, recommends a drop or two of DOT 3 or 4 Fluid in the switch before installing a New switch on a Dot 5 Silicone equipped Car.

If that DOT 3 stays in there, it would prevent the DOT 5 from damaging the contacts and could actually extend the life or permanently save it.
    You also could add fittings to those Switches that mount other than upside down, to make them fit that way helping to hold the DOT 3 fluid in.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Good sleuth work!

Ron Francis makes a silicone compatible switch...

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SW-32

Also Painless Wiring and Harley Davidson. Probably others.

Leave a comment:

• Investigating the failure of brake switch with DOT 5 brake fluid (silicone).

It is a subject much discussed. I never took it too serious until it happened to the only vehicle I have using silicone brake fluid. My 1951 Land Cruiser.

I saved the old brake switch. In an attempt to determine why it failed, I began to study its construction. For years, I sold all sorts of fluid pressure devices... pumps,cylinders, gauges, pressure regulators, and fluid controls. For the most part, they are fairly simple devices. Their complexity usually involves chemical resistance involving specifications to meet what they are exposed to. Also, pressure limits to meet safety standards for the operating pressures of the system for their intended use.

Although I had never opened up a simple old fashioned brake switch, I had a good idea of how they were constructed. I figured that a brake switch involved some sort of diaphragm seal, a contact (s), and some kind of spring (stand-off) to keep the contacts separated until pressure was applied to close the circuit.

I used a continuity tester to see if I could manually close the contacts (thinking that the diaphragm had failed causing the switch to not respond to pressure.) I used a small ball-end allen wrench to manually push in on the switch. No matter how hard I pressed, the switch would not show continuity on the meter.

So, I decided to open up the switch. Any of you who have held one of these switches in your hand knows, they were not intended to be dismantled. Since I don't have a metal lathe, I improvised by laying a small bench drill press on its side and secured the threaded end of the switch in the drill chuck.

I adjusted the belt on the drill press to run at its lowest speed. Then, carefully used a hacksaw with a fine tooth bi-metal blade to cut the switch housing at the crimped end. The picture below reveals the simplicity of the switch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1749129

Just as I thought, the switch consists of a metal housing, Bakelite (hard plastic) insulator, a diaphragm, a thin copper wafer (main movable switch contact) spring, and the two copper conductors to which the brake light wires are connected.

What surprised me was that the diaphragm was in great shape. Also, the side away from the fluid, was surprisingly dry. I was expecting to find a damaged diaphragm and the contact side full of brake fluid. My conclusion was that the mechanical function of the switch was intact and functioning as designed.

However, if you will look closely at the copper wafer, you will notice a couple of small crescent shaped dark spots corresponding to the fixed copper contacts imbedded in the bakelite insulator. Those contacts have similar spots of corrosion as well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake switch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1750782

My conclusion is that there must be some tiny bit of silicone brake fluid getting by the rubber diaphragm. It is not much, but must be enough to cause some chemical reaction in the presence of electrical current to cause the corrosion to form. Apparently, the corrosion itself is non-conductive, and once the contamination
    reaches a certain build-up, it will not allow current to flow, even when the contacts are mechanically pushed together under pressure.

That exposes the problem. All we need now, is a solution. I wonder if there is some type of lubricant or chemical that would prevent the corrosion? Of course, it is not something we could solve in our back yards. It will have to be addressed at the point of manufacture.
    Last edited by jclary; 04-23-2016, 04:47 AM.
Working...
X