Caster vs Bushing Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Caster vs Bushing Wear

For a 1951 Champion convertible, here are some questions about adjusting the alignment to make up for perceived bushing wear.

After disconnecting the left lower control arm from the cross-member to change out the shock absorber bracket bolts, I was examining the front suspension and found the rear bushing on the upper outer control arm pin extremely loose (over 1/16" slop) when jostling the now free lower control arm. The forward bushing seemed fine.

Contemplating it like any good CASO would, I spun the pin exactly 1 revolution counter-clockwise and found it better but not solid. So . . . . if 1 is good, 2 must be better. And it was! Two revolutions left the car with 0 play, so now, according to the shop manual, the car has 1 degree less negative caster on the left. Before I go to the right and do the same thing, some more facts and lots of questions.

The car was aligned a year ago, but I didn't get the specs it was set to. The shop's owner does alignments on king pin suspensions and said he thought the suspension was plenty tight.
    I can't feel any looseness in the right side control arms in any of the bushings, but then the spring is still pushing the control arms down. Both front wheels and sway bar off.
    Would I be able to feel slop in any bushing or do I have to disconnect the right lower control arm as well?
    Is this delaying the inevitable, for a week, or for years? Or was this a really bad idea? Or was this totally unnecessary?
    How will giving the car 1 less degree of negative caster on both sides effect the way the car drives or handles?
    What would happen to driveability if caster was a degree different side to side?
    Is there an easy way for me to measure caster and camber in the comfort of my garage with the car up in the air?
    Will removing and reinstalling the left lower control arm necessitate another alignment anyway, or if I'm very exact with the caster change, can I just drive on? I'm not too concerned about slight tire wear as they will dry rot before they wear out.
    If the bushing was obtainable, could it be changed in place, without removing the upper control arm from the car?

I remember as a young boy, Dad extolling the virtue of this car's negative caster as it made the car much easier for my very petite Mother to drive. And he was the type of person who would have added negative caster himself if he thought it would help Mom.

I believe the Spec is: "no more than 1/2 Degree Variance from left to right on Caster setting".

Less Negative Caster will theoretically make it steer a tiny bit Harder, and return the wheel a bit better.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X