Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Piston suppliers and country of origin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Piston suppliers and country of origin ?

In putting together a quote for a Champion rebuild, one of the largest Stude parts suppliers is significantly less expensive (by 33%) than the other large supplier who states his pistons are made in the USA. The less expensive supplier doesn't provide country of origin. Anyone bought new Champion pistons lately and from whence came they?

jack vines
    PackardV8

I am pretty sure it's China, but do not actually KNOW.
    Someone here on the Forum actually gave the Mfg. Co's Name, it could have been for V8 Pistons but probably the same.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The pistons I bought for my Avanti from the Large Stude supplier are YCP from Taiwan. They appear to have a good rep on the internet. The only problem I had was no one could tell me what clearance they should be installed at.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Last year I purchased a set of 289 pistons from I am assuming the large supplier referred to above. They were manufactured in Taiwan. One of the pistons had a very small hole all the way through from the top down to the inside so I returned them for a refund as it was the last set they had at that time in that size. I then ordered a set from EGGE. More expensive, but nice and made here.
        Dean

CLEM

Comment

The pistons for my 259 are from JCC in Taiwan but I sourced those myself from the manufacturer. This company supplies OEM for Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc... so they know what they are doing. If I could have found better pistons other than forged made here I would have bought them.

I couldn't find any cheap pistons for my Champion engines when I was looking a few years back.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            The pistons for my 259 are from JCC in Taiwan but I sourced those myself from the manufacturer. This company supplies OEM for Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc... so they know what they are doing. If I could have found better pistons other than forged made here I would have bought them.

I couldn't find any cheap pistons for my Champion engines when I was looking a few years back.

Len
            I don't understand, wouldn't these be the best?

Comment

I can't speak for the big vendors, but I stock Ertel, Badger, McQuay-Norris (old stock), Silvo-lite, Egge (new stock).
              Last edited by Bo Markham; 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM.
              Bo

Comment

I used to use a lot of Badger pistons when I was in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  Don't really understand the question but here goes.

I have the 259 pistons but they were off the shelf pistons originally made for a non Studebaker engine. Good quality and better specs than what are supplied for Studebaker engines.

The Champion pistons are so unique that the only other engines that use compatible pistons are just as expensive and just as hard to get "off the shelf". I was looking for a new off the shelf product from a modern engine with better metallurgical properties and specs. No go for the Champion, for what I found, but that was a couple of years ago. Nothing wrong with what are supplied from regular vendors but I was looking for a price break and maybe a plentiful supply.

I can get the 259's but not the Champion pistons from JCC. I didn't look into 185 pistons though.

Len
                  Last edited by Skybolt; 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

-I have an NOS set of pistons#1561392. parts manual say these are for a 1964 6 cyl. since they used the same engine block from 1939-1964 with 3" dia. pistons why did the part number change every year? Pin dia. is same ring width is same ,so what is the difference ? just the part # or something else ? Anyone out there know? I'd sell this set for $75.00 plus shipping if anyone want them.

Comment

The '64 OHV six piston part number changed because the pistons themselves changed. The '64 pistons used a one-year only piston ring configuration (ring width changed).
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Forged pistons are generally higher cost. And, they require more piston to wall clearance. This causes piston slap when cold. In a high performance situation forged piston would be best. But, in a daily driver situation not necessarily. I have factory forged pistons in two of my cars. The Turbo 2.3 (from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe) in my Pinto and the '85 Corvette engine in my Studebaker both have forged pistons. Especially the 2.3 Ford engine has a lot of slap when cold.
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Now I see.... If I had more money to spare I would have used forged pistons. Then I also would have spent another couple thousand on more performance parts. My approach was to do an inexpensive mild performance build. I guess with machining and parts I will still be into the 259 for about $1,500. I could have had $4-5,000 but I didn't need that type of engine. Want, yes. Need, no.

The pistons I did go with will be fine for all but high boost engines.

Len

Comment

I guess I need to move to California. I spent over $1000 for machine work alone (re-bore, crank grind, block deck, balancing, heads etc!
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                              I guess I need to move to California. I spent over $1000 for machine work alone (re-bore, crank grind, block deck, balancing, heads etc!
                              That's what it costs to do it to the best professional standard; more if the main bores are line-honed and the block is decked on a BHJ Blok-Tru fixture.

FWIW, over the past fifty years the standard CASO rebuild was new rings on used pistons, hand-honed bores, reground seats and valves and knurled guides. If the crankshaft was reground, that was going deluxe. There are more today who will pay to do it correctly, but they're still in the minority.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X