Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Spark plugs

Working on a commander 8 with a cylinder head that had an AC 76 plug that measures 22mm. Can't locate anything in any catalogs. Anyone have any experience with locating a source for these plugs. Jerry Kurtz

Jerry: Do you mean it has a large, 22MM thread into the head? That's really big, but I know some early engines had such large plugs.

What year is the Commander? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is it possibly Autolite 76 ?
      14 mm thread, gasket ( not taper seat) , 3/8" reach, 13/16 inch hex?

Comment

Motor is out of a 34 but who knows what year the head is from and yes the thread is 22 mm. Plug are labeled AC 76. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
          Motor is out of a 34 but who knows what year the head is from and yes the thread is 22 mm. Plug are labeled AC 76. Jerry Kurtz
          OK, Jerry; thanks.

I am not home right now (babysitting grandchildren this morning), but when I get home, I'm going to call a fellow who restores old tractors full-time. Perhaps he will know of a source for such a plug.

I looked in older parts books I have at home last evening, but couldn't scare up anything. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here is a Champion cross reference chart from the '50s that has some 22mm plugs listed: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Plugs/equiv.htm

Here is another that looks like the same chart info: http://www.fordsonmajor.se/fordson_e...sparkplugs.htm

Here are some adapters to go from 22mm to other sizes, probably not your first choice tho...... http://www.sparkplugadapters.com/services.html
            http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spark...n-to-14mm.html

Here is some info on a discussion board that includes AC 76 plugs: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...e-spakre-plugs
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

'Looks like Paul beat me to it, Jerry, so I'll not pursue it further. (Thanks, Paul.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

FWIW this source calls the plugs prior to 1933 7/8 inch (which would be 22.22 mm) and the plugs after 1932 18 mm.
                http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/stud30.html

This source claims to have Autolite 3076s with 7/8-18 thread for 1930 Studebaker President for 4 bux each.

I'm thinking the thread is likely inch, not metric.

Ignoring the basic major and pitch diameters would be 0.008" smaller for 22 mm, 18 Threads per inch is 1.411 mm/thread, which is pretty far from an even metric pitch which would be used today. 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0
                Last edited by Dan Timberlake; 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

According to my information, the AC 76 plug crosses to a Champion W16Y, or new Champion number 561 which is the same plug a Model A Ford uses. The plugs are 7/8ths x 18, not 22mm as I keep Model A plugs in stock. Bud

Comment

Stupid me, yes the thread is 7/8-18. and yes I am a machinist. Major thread dia of plug is at the bottom tolerance which is close to 22mm, never checked the pitch, just assumed. Plugs were ordered from NAPA. Thanks for the help.
                    Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Jerry: Were you able to buy the spark plugs you need?

I just discovered a couple boxes of NOS D16 Champions I got when I bought a large box of misc new spark pluigs at an auction a couple years ago and would sell them cheap. I may have some in a closer heat range because I have several more of that large thread size with an ordinary gasketed seat, but didn't want to pursue it further if you already have what you needed. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks Bob but the plugs were a stock item at NAPA. Thanks again for the help. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, Jerry. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                          X