No announcement yet.

1987 Avanti Electrical Problem " HELP HELP HELP "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start pulling harness connectors apart, wipe with a good dab of electrolytic grease and reconnect.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Most GM products take main power off solenoid then go across fire wall then through same ,here is a good spot to lose power. that big plug on fire wall if your Avanti is so equipped. follow the power with a tester till you lose it. Luck Doofus

Comment

Been busy with family stuff. I'll get back on this electrical problem Monday. In the meantime " Thank You " to all for for the help and advice. ' will update everyone ASAP.

Comment

Hi Guys, I have determined that I have power coming through the large connector on top of the fire wall and into the cabin ( I have power on the cabin side of the connector ) of the car. No power at the fuse box. I have my test light grounded to the location where the battery is grounded on the A/C bracket on the cars engine. I have looked everywhere for a kill switch under the dash and don't see one. What am I missing? It is hard to determine where the harness goes before going to the fuse box as there is much stuff in the way steering column etc. Again " Thank You " for all the help and advice !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gipe+Av+2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1705609That horrible connector is a source of much frustration. There is a bolt in the top side that holds it together. When you pull it apart you will find a mess. Gm used some sort of sealant, and it melts with normal engine compartment heat, and flows down into all the connectors, and makes poor contact. You need to clean it all off, and dissolve the tar like crap from all the terminals. Mineral Spirits will work.
            Last edited by bezhawk; 05-23-2016, 12:27 PM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes bezhawk I had that connector apart and did see the gunky mess you describe. I put it back together without cleaning I did have power to the cabin side ( inside the car ) of that connector. I will take it apart and clean as you said to do.

Comment

Clean, bright and shiney.
                Clean the crap out of the connector as bezhawk stated.
                Spray the connector with electrical contact cleaner.
                If the contacts are not clean, bright and shiney you may have to touch them with a brass wire brush or scrape them. As clean as possible without destroying them.
                Then the dab of electrolytic grease as 64V-K7 stated.
                Since all of the other electrical connections are as old as that one, it would be a good idea to show them some attention. Specially all the grounds.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Check the power inside the cabin when there is a load on and see what happens! bet it goes away when a load hits! Luck Doofus

Comment

Update took the firewall connector apart used mineral spirits and Dremel with a small wire brush and full box of Q-tips cleaned everything till shinny bright and reassembled ( mineral spirits worked great at dissolving the gunk ). Again with a new fresh fully charged battery. Key in the ignition no power nothing works no buzzer, no headlights, nothing. This really has me stumped. What am I missing ? Again Thanks for all the advice and help !

Comment

PS. Please keep in mind the car was running prior to winter and storage. I'm about ready to resorting to banging my hard head against the nearest availible wall. Lol.

Comment

I know it's annoying but have you tried tracing the power (12V) starting from the battery and through any fusible link, starter relay, etc and find where the power drops off. All you would need is a 12V light with a probe. They're cheap at the auto parts store. This way you might be able to find where you're losing your power. You should be able to trace 12V all the way to your ignition switch. Once your at the ignition switch you can check each ignition switch terminal to see if the power is going out to the different wires. A volt meter would work a little better because it would tell you if you're losing voltage like finding only 5V or 3V as you move through all the connections, relays, etc but a probe with a 12V bulb will work if your power is dropping completely down to nothing.

I've done this sometimes when I've run out of options???
                        treblig

Comment

Avanti76;
                          As has been mention by others if the red? wire off of the starter solenoid goes to the large plug the other side of the large plug should have the same wire (about 10 Gauge) and it should go to the ammeter. You should start there looking for 12 volts and loose terminals. From the other side of the ammeter the wires go to the fuse box. and other items that might not be fused in the fuse box. The head lights and the wipers had circuit breakers in the Studebaker Avanti which were mounted on the fuse panel.
                          As I said it is possible to have 12 volts and still have nothing work. Test with a load on the circuit. Turn on the head lights or radio or? I realize they will not work. the idea is to place a load on the circuit.
                          Ron

Comment

You said you had power inside the car, but not to the fuse box. Where did you check for voltage inside the car? Check each side of each fuse with a test light. Are all fused circuits dead? Try with ignition on and ignition off. I don't have that year Avanti II, but I know that their wiring is sometimes screwy. Does that big red wire go directly to the fuse box or connect first to an ammeter? You have to follow the wiring like you would a water pipe and check for voltage at each junction.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X