No announcement yet.

1987 Avanti Electrical Problem " HELP HELP HELP "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Bob said, you need a VOM or test light to see where the voltage stops. I start at the battery to make sure the test light works, then keep moving downstream to see where the voltage quits. I only use analog VOM's when I work on older cars. The digital meters can jump all over the place and if you happen to touch the probe it will pick up on your body resistance also.

Comment

I don't know how much of the wiring was copied from GM due to the engine emissions system, I think the fusible link comes off the starter solenoid (pink) and goes to the alternator and another wire goes to an ECM fuse and I think one goes to the ignition switch from there, unlike the more mundane Ford set up with the separate solenoid. The ground from the battery to the engine might be ok, but a strap from the block to the frame may have gone south. Not sure if there is any other ground take off for the body grounding other than from the frame. Wish you luck, I know it will be something simple, like the ignition switch on the base of the steering column--the locks at the top but a rod delivers motion to it remotely, I think on these older style GM columns.

Comment

A update, some success I was able to get the windows up I ran a jumper from the battery directly to the power supply for the fuse box and bi-passing everything in between and power up the windows. The last couple of nights I had to cover the car with a tarp as it was ( is ) stranded outside in the driveway, and was stuck with the both windows down. Now to get the front end up in the air and take a look underneath I do know the prior owner had just changed out the alternator very recently putting on a re-manufactured one. I wonder if this has something to do with the issues I'm having. I checked thoroughly for a kill switch and didn't find one. Well I'm off to get under the car and have a look see !

Comment

Originally posted by avanti76 View Post
          A update, some success I was able to get the windows up I ran a jumper from the battery directly to the power supply for the fuse box and bi-passing everything in between and power up the windows. The last couple of nights I had to cover the car with a tarp as it was ( is ) stranded outside in the driveway, and was stuck with the both windows down. Now to get the front end up in the air and take a look underneath I do know the prior owner had just changed out the alternator very recently putting on a re-manufactured one. I wonder if this has something to do with the issues I'm having. I checked thoroughly for a kill switch and didn't find one. Well I'm off to get under the car and have a look see !
          Since you had to go direct to the fuse box with + battery to get windows working, I'd check the "+" wires at the starter solenoid first-maybe nut backed off on the fusible link side or the solenoid itself fried the connector from the Bat + in to the + lug out to the rest of the car. Since you didn't say you had to ground anything to get the window to work, your open is on the "+" side most likely. Look for the pink or maybe red fusible wire there and test continuity up to the newly installed alternator side of the fusible wire, maybe it was damaged installing the alternator.

Comment

Final update and a big " Thank You " to everyone who helped what a great community we have here ! I have the car running. I started checking all the connectors under the hood and found one near the alternator that was full of greasy gunk, cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and " wala " the car starts and everything is now working. Just goes to show you what a simple fix it can be, but o so frustrating getting there ! Lol.

Comment

NOTHING about an Avanti is easy. It's just inherent in them for some reason...part of their "charm". If we wanted easy we'd have something else.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by avanti76 View Post
                Final update and a big " Thank You " .....what a great community we have here! Agree!

I have the car running.
                That's the important part!

...a simple fix... What I call, BKS (Butt kick'n simple)

...so frustrating getting there ! We've all been there.

Congratulations, it is humbling experiences such as this that provide us an opportunity to appreciate our collective sense of community and increase our shared knowledge base. I often post a lot of baloney, there is usually someone who will provide substantial and valuable information. Next time someone has a similar problem...you can pay it forward.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  NOTHING about an Avanti is easy. It's just inherent in them for some reason...part of their "charm". If we wanted easy we'd have something else.
                  Well said!!! I'm still convinced the designers were all left handed, I can never "get there" with my right hand. "Charm" does however wear thin at times.

Comment

Thanks for posting the solution, this will most likely make one of our lives easier in the future
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Avanti 76 - check your Private messages
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi guys bad news my electrical gremlin has returned !!!! I was preparing to bring the car out of winter storage and zip no power to anything. The car was running when stored in the late fall. It is not the battery since the one in the car is brand new just installed and fully charged. I do have power to the large connector ( large red wire ) under the hood on top of the firewall where all the wires pass into the cars cabin but there appears to be no power to the fuse box. Any thoughts on this before I tear into this and make a mess of things. Am I overlooking something simple ? I am no electrical wiz when it comes to cars, especially a fiberglass car. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Back to basics. Was the battery new last fall or just bought brand new recently? If last fall, did you disconnect it over the winter or put a trickle maintainer on it? If not, a clock or alarm system could run it down enough that it won't do anything, but will still show 12v on a volt meter.

If the battery really is fully charged, clean the battery and other big terminals, and follow the red positive wire with a test light to see where the 12v drops out. You should have a fusible link somewhere that if burned out, will prevent anything from working. It might be a smaller wire that comes off the positive battery post. It provides power to everything except the starter motor.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Avanti76;
                            Where are you connected to on the ground side when you test for power at the large red terminal?
                            I would run a temporary ground from the battery to the engine and or the cars frame and try things again.
                            If still no power; it is time to find out where the power goes to from the large red terminal.
                            A picture of the large red terminal would help us understand what you have.
                            It is also possible that the wiring going to the large red terminal is breaking down under load. No load you have 12 volts; put a load on it and the voltage goes away.
                            Had a similar problem the other day with the power windows in my Avanti. All of a sudden they stopped working sitting in the garage. 12 volts on the output of the relay that is under the hood; try the windows and the 12 volts went away. Turned out to be a defective circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is only in the window circuit. Not your problem.
                            Ron

Comment

I'am sure the Avanti is just like a Corvette on electrical problems as the body is fiberglass and very few point to get a good ground.

Comment

If it still has an ammeter in the dash, all electricity goes through it before other circuits. Check for loose connections there.
                                Bez Auto Alchemy
                                573-318-8948
                                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X