Shock shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Shock shopping

So, one of the (many) reasons I'm working on a 2R17 to get on the road is so I can do some overdue upkeep on my 60 Lark VI 4 door wagon.

Particularly since the past six weeks I've been driving on a stretch of unimproved dirt road to get to where the truck is parked I am very aware these shocks could use replacing. They were put on the car new 3 years ago when we bought the car and I was advised they were Monroes that were comparable to what was original.

I've never actually spent any time or energy buying or choosing one shock over another. Whatever the originals are, I'm definitely wanting to get something firmer and I hope to get a front sway bar in the next few months, but shocks would definitely be an improvement over what it's doing now.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how you would pick one shock over another.

On my '63 GT, I bought KYB GasAjust shocks sized for a mid '70s Camero. I had to press out the upper bushings on the rears and replace with the stock Stude bushing. On fronts, I formed a 3/16 steel bridge to fit the span of the lower mounting tabs. I know the Lark chassis is different so I'm not sure if any of these ideas apply to the Lark setup, but I am very pleased with the way the KYBs handle, they respond to the terrain and type of driving so they firm up when you are making them work but relax a little around town. I got tired of the junky OEM shocks that were being made for Studebakers, they were weak, soft and wore out in less than a year

Comment

go to your nearest FLAPS and buy some gas shocks

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        X