Body bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Body bolts?

Does SI have any body bolts? Like those 5/16" ones that are about as coarse as lag bolts, but aren't exactly lag bolts? I thought I saw some in their catalog, but now I can't find them. Does anybody else have them?

BTW, I talked to my Mom on the phone. She says the Hawk is going to be a beautiful car when I get it done. It makes me feel a little better after this whole ordeal. She wants me to get it inside the Morton. She's probably right, but I want it to sit outside for a while more so the locals might talk about it.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Mothers know best
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Comment

Have you called S.I.? Of course it was 1994 when I saw buckets of various bolts when I visited the old "Standard Surplus" building. They were in bins along the back wall of the front room.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I think the bolts we're discussing here have what's called an ACME thread and they are hard to find as good used replacements. I've removed them from salvage cars. I don't think ACME threaded bolts are produced anymore. - Rich G.

Comment

Well, if their bolts happened to work as well as their dynamite, outboard steam rollers, dehydrated boulders, and jet pogo-sticks, no wonder they're not produced anymore....

I'll give Acme credit though, their Burmese tiger trap worked a little too well....
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

In the 5/16" size, the ones you are probably looking for are the 1570x series. These have a depressed head and no washer or built-in flange under the head. The number that follows the x designates the length -- for example, the 1570x3 was 3/4" long. The others in the 5/16" width were the 1957x, which came with built-in washers of various sizes, and the 1501x, which had a flanged head. N&A/SASCO had bins of these fasteners, which they used to sell by the pound. SI might still have some, though they're probably not listed in their inventory -- you might have to email them. Like others mentioned above, junkyards may be another possible source.

Dorman used to call them hex head metal screws, but I couldn't find them in their catalog any more.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Check with a company called Aveco. they make body bolts , clips etc. I would think they would have them.

Comment

I found some 5/16-9 hex-head metal screws on eBay. Somebody tell me the length of the ones that hold the rear fenders on bullet-noses, Hawks, or even double-enders and I'll buy a pack of 25 or 50.

Comment

Re #6, Beep Beep Doug!

Comment

Working...
                    X