Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Which windshield wipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Which windshield wipers?

Went to the local auto parts store to get replacement wiper blades, for my 62 GT, and got what turned out not to work. Who makes a wiper blade to fit a 62 GT?
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Anco 20-12 blade assembly

Comment

Both Anco and Trico make replacement blades for your Hawk. If I remember correctly, the Trico blades are in their classic series and Anco is the specialty series. I installed the Anco 20-12 blades on my 62 Hawk last week and they are a great fit. I've also used the Trico blades as your local NAPA dealer either has them in stock or can order them for you. Bud

Comment

Trico 33-122 12". You can also get away with a 13" blade, more readily available for later model cars, but it will be satin black, not stainless.
        http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers...oducts/Classic

Comment

Eckler Corvette parts have polished stainless like originals about $30. a pair . Have pair on my Clipper work well and look and fit like they should

Comment

Ordered the Anco 20-12 from Amazon.
            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

The profile/cross section of all the rubber is similar. You can buy rubber that is too long, cut it to fit, and slide in into the stainless steel guides from your old wiper. I have been doing this for at least 30 years.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                The profile/cross section of all the rubber is similar. You can buy rubber that is too long, cut it to fit, and slide in into the stainless steel guides from your old wiper. I have been doing this for at least 30 years.
                But where have you been buying the rubber inserts and what P/N? I have looked in numerous places and cannot seen to find what will fit the wiper blades on my 59 Lark. I have resorted to supporting Studebaker International and buying replacement units from them. (About $13 each)
                Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Maybe I didn't explain very well.

Buy ANY wiper blade for most any car that is longer than the one you need. Just take yours apart and use the rubber from the new one and not any of the other parts.

The rubber blades used to be available separately. Now you have to buy the blade with the metal support.

Here's how:
                  -take your old Studebaker assembly apart and remove the old rubber
                  -remember how it goes back together
                  -go to any auto parts store. The ones with higher sales will have fresher rubber parts
                  -bring the rubber to the parts store
                  -it is MOST IMPORTANT that you do NOT ask the clerks for help. They cannot think "outside the box" and will INSIST that they cannot help you
                  -buy a wiper blade/assembly from almost any model/brand that is longer than what you need and looks like the same cross section (most rubber cross sections are similar, or identical, or will work anyway)
                  -take the new one apart and save the new rubber
                  -cut the new rubber to the same length as the old rubber
                  -put the new rubber into your old assembly
                  -put the assembly back on the car
                  -feel good about solving a problem by thinking outside the box
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Maybe I didn't explain very well.

Buy ANY wiper blade for most any car that is longer than the one you need. Just take yours apart and use the rubber from the new one and not any of the other parts.

The rubber blades used to be available separately. Now you have to buy the blade with the metal support.

Here's how:
                    -take your old Studebaker assembly apart and remove the old rubber
                    -remember how it goes back together
                    -go to any auto parts store. The ones with higher sales will have fresher rubber parts
                    -bring the rubber to the parts store
                    -it is MOST IMPORTANT that you do NOT ask the clerks for help. They cannot think "outside the box" and will INSIST that they cannot help you
                    -buy a wiper blade/assembly from almost any model/brand that is longer than what you need and looks like the same cross section (most rubber cross sections are similar, or identical, or will work anyway)
                    -take the new one apart and save the new rubber
                    -cut the new rubber to the same length as the old rubber
                    -put the new rubber into your old assembly
                    -put the assembly back on the car
                    -feel good about solving a problem by thinking outside the box
                    Thanks RadioRoy!

That's what I had thought about doing, but had not gone there. I chuckle at the experiences of "DO NOT asks the clerks for help...." We have one at our local O'Reilly's that he has gathered the wrong stuff for us MULTIPLE times, and I again explain to him the error of his ways. I used to be the newbie behind the counter lots of years ago, but the ones that are there today are a new breed of stupid..... Studebaker doesn't always show up in the computer.

I will look at the local WalMart as well. However, I don't think I can buy a replacement blade at WM for less than I can get the real thing from SI, but I'll check!

Thanks for the clarification!
                    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                    X