64 Daytona door lock knob color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 64 Daytona door lock knob color

Are door lock knobs for a 64 Daytona Wagonaire, supposed to be chrome, match interior color or are they always black ?

Always BLACK, chrome are aftermarket. Unlike the '53 to '62 flexible Rubber like material, these have a larger Head and are hard Plastic and only came in Black, also NLA.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
      Are door lock knobs for a 64 Daytona Wagonaire, supposed to be chrome, match interior color or are they always black ?
      If you have chrome knobs on the back doors you probably have a set of AC-3456 Child Guard Rear Door Safety Locks.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Excellent ! I have a set from a 63. Nice not to have to buy something else for a change .

Comment

I wonder if their would be a need for re-productions "maybe even colors to match"

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Always BLACK, chrome are aftermarket. Unlike the '53 to '62 flexible Rubber like material, these have a larger Head and are hard Plastic and only came in Black, also NLA.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            I wonder if their would be a need for re-productions "maybe even colors to match"
            The part 297803X6 and part 1352896 look the same in cataloges and I don't have both on hand to see what is different but many vendors do have the 297803x6 in stock. Here is one such example http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...product=hdwe6&

Here the vendor has both: http://www.studeparts.com.au/interior-trim.pdf they are in Australia but they are NOS.

Are these similar? As I recall looking at some when I lived in Australia and had both Holden and Studebaker cars. I was surprised at how similar they were. Maybe not the same but close. The set below look like reproductions. and not very well done at that. There might be some better ones out there or they might look better in person.
            http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-BL...UAAOSwHnFVpxgp

The one thing that I always question is how many parts were changed to older stock or locally sourced for the Australian Studebakers.

"Always BLACK, chrome are aftermarket. Unlike the '53 to '62 flexible Rubber like material, these have a larger Head and are hard Plastic and only came in Black, also NLA." I would like to see them side by side if anyone has detailed photos. If they are so different I will start saving them from any late model cars I come across.

Len

Comment

To answer all of the above questions -

Part number 297803X6 Knob (53-62 & Hawk) has a thicker 'stem' which fills a larger hole or eyelet in the top of the door panel. Using the earlier knobs will cause a rattle!
              Part number 1352896 (63-66 models) has a thin stem, with a smaller eyelet in the door trim panel. The earlier knobs won't fit through the later hole.

Both knobs do look similar and will thread onto the same size lock rod but as studerich has pointed out they are made of a different material and are slightly different in appearance.

Len, all Australian assembled Studes used US supplied lock knobs. The Holden ones in your link are shorter and slightly thicker but could be made to work as a replacement for the 297803X6 knobs but will never fit the later cars. Later Ford chrome knobs look similar to the later Stude knobs and fit well but they are not so easy to find these days either.

But the good news is we have a quantity of N.O.S. 63-66 type lock knobs should anyone be needing them in the near future.

Chris.
              Last edited by stude dude; 10-21-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Okay Chris, looks like I will hold on to all the late ones I come across.

Len

Comment

Working...
                X