A Newby's 2 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: A Newby's 2 cents

I've learned very quickly on this forum that there are differing opinions even amongst experts. I must take it all in and decide what makes sense to me. To get personal, my plan since being a young lad/man/ was in my retirement to have a shop and be the caretaker of an old truck. Initially I was leaning towards 1930's Chevy P/U. After some research I decided to move up to the late 1940's after the war vintage. Technology seemed a little more advanced. Contenders were a 1947 Mercury 1ton (Canadian built) with a flathead v8 and 4sd. It was too far gone for me. Next was a 1949 F1 Ford 1/2 ton 6cyl 3spd. They never responded. Liked that truck. Then I found a 1949 2r5 Studebaker 1/2 ton 4spd. I was sold at Studebaker and 1949 (year of my birth). Love to drive it, learn it's personality and needs. Plan to drive it every chance I get (maybe not too much in Anchorage in winter). We'll see how long I can keep it on the road. Wish me luck. Paul
    1949 2r5 28196
    170ci 6cyl
    4spd

Glad to have you with us "Kid".

You will see that there are merits in all years, models and types of Studebaker Cars and Trucks depending on your plan for it even though those of us that have been there done that for 40 years or more, may sound very opinionated, it is not really intentional but after you have owned them all, you DO know which are the best from many experiences, that does not mean that all the rest need to be avoided or Junked.

I don't mean Styles, opinions of which vary a lot between different people, I mean well designed, good performing, dependable and easy/reasonable to repair yourself Models.

So if people tell you a 170 c.i.d. Six with a compound Low 4 Speed and a 4.88 Rear Axle in a 3600 Lb. Truck is not the best Highway or Interstate Cruiser setup, just remember they do not know what your intended use may be.
    Maybe you only plan to drive 10 miles on a backroad to Town once a week and you enjoy a simple to work on Vehicle.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Please, no one, please, turn Paul on to any link to put a military Studebaker US6x6 back on the road to tour the Alcan highway! The very idea would reek of anachronism!
      Last edited by rockne10; 10-20-2015, 01:57 AM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

is it true they used Studebaker 6packs to build the Alcan? I've seen a few old Dodge dumps around and a couple of Dodge Ambulances. Driven the Alcan twice in a CJ. Became a tedious journey for me, but I wasn't touring, I was trying to get from A to B. 1st time back in the 70's before a lot of it was paved. Poor CJ was a mess by the time I got to Anchorage. Windshield shattered, radiator holes, front end looked like it had been in a baseball size hail storm. I was surprised at the size of rocks an oncoming semi can pitch at you, and it happens so fast you can't react. I don't know how people do it on motorcycles.
        Last edited by Old Radio Tech; 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM.
        1949 2r5 28196
        170ci 6cyl
        4spd

Comment

Is there an SDC chapter in Anchorage? If so, add ANOTHER layer of experts to filter through.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Radio Tech View Post
            is it true they used Studebaker 6packs to build the Alcan? I've seen a few old Dodge dumps around and a couple of Dodge Ambulances.
            Yes. See chapter 6 here:
            http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X