No announcement yet.

What?! Another gear oil question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered Redline MT-90 for my 57 Commander 3spd with overdrive per a previous thread. I plan on using it in my 63 Hawk with the 4spd also.
    Last edited by tim333; 10-21-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

GL-5 in the rear it is then. Now that I have a stock number on the GL-1 a host of headaches is cured at least.

Comment

A question about putting new oil in the fairly jellied transmission. I got out 80%-90% of the old jelly, should I plan on draining this after a short period of use and refilling or will it not make that much difference leaving in the traces of old oil until a scheduled change?

Comment

Leo, I read in a previous thread where it was noted to drive the vehicle to get the trans nice and warm, then let it drain overnight .

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
            Leo, I read in a previous thread where it was noted to drive the vehicle to get the trans nice and warm, then let it drain overnight .
            That's what I would have done. At this point it wouldn't hurt to do that after a couple good long drives.

Comment

Sounds good. I know I'll feel better if I do it considering what I slopped out.

Comment

At least Studebakers have separate transmissions and differentials. In the Corvair world, the manual transmissions share fluid with the differential. GL-4 is our only choice. Carquest carries GL-4 in 90w. My 50 Commander uses ATF, no, not a manual transmission.
                Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                X